Sash window work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all
I wonder if anyone can advise me.
I have spoken to two local companies about giving my sash windows some tlc as they are drafts and don't open or close properly.

One company has said they will put in brushes and restring, make good any parts that need it along with a new inner sil for £90
The other company said they restore it, replace beedingm install. Draft proofing and add sil at like 100 pounds per meter.

What should I be looking for from someone to make them look good and function properly and keep the heat in.
Please help as the quotes are so far apart I'm not sure what is the best way forward.
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Due to the design sashes are drafty even brand new double glazed with all the brushes and seal they are still very drafty, we had them on one side of our office block [planning dept insisted so they did not clash with local properties] but that side of the building was a constant 2 degrees cooler than our North facing double glazed side [even though the windows there were poorly fitted].

Beading with built in brush seals can reduce the draughts through sash windows massively and was hugely worthwhile in our previous house.

Can you get any references for the two companies that have quoted you?

Seeing as the prices are similar i'd want to see some examples of their work.

Sponsored Links
To do sash windows properly can be time consuming. I've done loads.
Can spend a day. Can spend several days.
All depends on how worn they are. Often the sides of the bottom sash can be very worn if they've been opened and close regularly, and if they're very old. I often add a strip to the side/s to close the gap before rebating the middle rail and the sides, top & bottom for a seal. All depends on what standard you want and what your budget is.

http://www.mightonproducts.com/article/14/sash-window-tv/b504bd809d1b696e6a4d1568c3ade643

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back