Sash Windows : Panels Around : Repairing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

There is some peeling under my sash windows ... the paint is very thick and has separated from the wall.

Wondering what's best to do. Can I just chip all the paint off and repaint or is there ... is there some render beneath it ? (there is picture of paint flake below).

Does that mean I need to plaster it first ?

Seems to be some kind of board at underneath all the layers.

?

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
If its just a bit of peeling then just scrap away then fill and sand, then paint.

Probably a piece of caulk you are holding there

Thanks ... the flakes though are about 2mm thick - and on the inside they aren't smooth like paint ... looks more like render. Of some sort

Could be my eyes, but that's what it looks like to me.

In the photo that is a flake off the wall, it has a bit of caulk at the top edge but the rest is from the wall ... you see it's quite thick.

What colour is the suspect render, if painted the give a scratch. Just trying to establish what surface is there before giving any further advice.

Sponsored Links
I'll put up a couple more photos.

Paper ? Dunno. Definitely looks like some kind of rendering.

Do you know what a typical construction for this kind of surround is ? The house is about 100 years old.

Cheers

[reverse of flake]

[overview]

That looks like plaster in the picture to me which would be on top of render. If its coming off with ease then remove it all and either have it re-skimmed or plaster board it. If it is just small areas then just patch it up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back