Sat nav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a sat nav and have been reading the instructions and one thing that I don't understand is it says Memory card TF ( maximum support 32GB ) which means nothing to me! also how do you clear a memory card that has become full?
Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
TF - TransFlash - the original name for a micro SD card.
There are now micro SD cards that have a capacity of 1 Terabyte.
Due to the limitations of your satnavs OS, you are limited to using micro SD cards with a capacity less than 32 Gigabytes.
...and again depending on what your satnavs OS and filesystem requires (i.e FAT32), a microSD card can be cleared/formatted from a card reader in a laptop or PC.

....but you may wish to read the instructions first - you won't want to format a memory card that came with your satnav, if that contained the mapping files! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It appears it is not a satnav, but to answer your
question using a phone eats data continuously.
And the screen is tiny on a phone even compared to a windscreen mounted sat nav. Cars now are coming with 10 inch multimedia screens including sat nav so why use a phone that also has crap audio and yes even the iphones, that you lot seem so willing to pay out idiotic amounts of money for, has crap audio.

It appears it is not a satnav, but to answer your
question using a phone eats data continuously.
Google maps on Android allows offline maps to be downloaded - no data usage. Perfect for PAYG.
Cars now are coming with 10 inch multimedia screens including sat nav so why use a phone that also has crap audio and yes even the iphones, that you lot seem so willing to pay out idiotic amounts of money for, has crap audio.
Many new cars have big multimedia displays, but not all have maps and often the systems are clunky.
Using Android Auto, or Apple Car Play, connected to the in-car display, gives a far better experience, with up to date mapping.
...and as said earlier, it doesn't have to eat data.

If it is like my dash cam it continually overwrites data saved on the sd card while you are driving unless "settings" has been adjusted to notify you when the card is full & it stops recording when that happens. The only time you need to worry about it is if you want to keep a file of your journeys ( which is really tiresome) or download & copy a part of the video to send elsewhere, in which case you connect the camera to a PC which has the software for the camera installed. On mine the card slots in the side of the camera after flipping up a small cover. As has been said it should be all in the instructions.

Thanks JJ
The instructions that came with it are poor and the print is about 0.5mm.. ( tiny )

When the card is full the camera will delete the oldest video and replace it with a new one.
This continues as it is used.
If you have marked a video segment to be kept it will not be overwritten however its usually better to remove any important videos as soon as possible, having another SD card can help with this.

Lol... I meant a dash cam! Wow ! is it possible to alter the title of a thread?

You need a micro SD Card, they usually come with an adaptor so the card can be fitted into your computer to view the video. Likely there will be a setting, which allows it to over write on the card, once it is full, but the bigger the capacity, the longer the trip it can record without need to begin to over write. The video is not stored as a continuous file, but as a series of separate files, with a slight overlap of time.

If the camera has a crash or an attempt to damage feature, the video will be saved in a separate folder, which never gets over written. If it also has a rear camera, that will also be stored in a separate folder, but like the front facing will be over written.

32 Gb might give you six to ten hours of record, before over writting.

Last edited:
OK thanks Harry
It has come with a rear camera, which has a long lead that also has a red shorter cable attached with a bare end! not sure what i'm supposed to do with that bit?

OK thanks Harry
It has come with a rear camera, which has a long lead that also has a red shorter cable attached with a bare end! not sure what i'm supposed to do with that bit?

It sounds basically similar to mine, which I hard wired so it always comes on with the ignition. I wired a ciggy socket behind and powered by the cabin climate control unit, which is only powered when the ignition is on, so the ciggy lighter adaptor could just be left plugged into that. The only visible part is the head unit, fixed to the screen, but that is mostly hidden by the sun shade things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back