Sat1 and Sat2 Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with my TV. Picture freezes, doesn't scroll or I get shadows. I seem to be the only one. We are on a communal aerial and the wall plate in my lounge contains a plate with Sat1 and Sat2 and cables coming from both into a black box. I am on Freeview but others are on that or Sky etc.

Can anyone explain to me why I need both for Freeview as I've checked the signal and it's very good, a poor one seems to be the main reason why a TV freezes so it doesn't make sense. The engineer is useless as he told me it was the Freeview box so I bought a new one. it wasn't because the same thing happened.

Would be grateful for any help.

Sponsored Links
I'm having problems with my TV. Picture freezes, doesn't scroll or I get shadows. I seem to be the only one. We are on a communal aerial and the wall plate in my lounge contains a plate with Sat1 and Sat2 and cables coming from both into a black box. I am on Freeview but others are on that or Sky etc.

Can anyone explain to me why I need both for Freeview as I've checked the signal and it's very good, a poor one seems to be the main reason why a TV freezes so it doesn't make sense. The engineer is useless as he told me it was the Freeview box so I bought a new one. it wasn't because the same thing happened.

Would be grateful for any help.

That plate is for satellite TV. If there is not a standard aerial socket as well it won't work for Freeview.

What is this black box the satellite cables go to? Any writing on it, or perhaps a photo would be useful.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay . On closer inspection one of the cables is plugged under SAT1 not in it.

I've uploaded a photo but have absolutely no idea where it's gone!

I presume the picture below is your outlet?

View media item 82699Am I right in thinking the white cable goes to your TV?

What is the brown cable connected to? have you tried disconnecting it? (I doubt it will make a difference betwork worth a try)

Sponsored Links
The black box to the left is a power supply, usually used to power a masthead amplifier via the aerial cable, though not normally used on a communal system.

But, if it is needed, the ANT connection needs to go to the wall plate where the white wire is. There should be an output that goes to your TV aerial socket and finally there should be a mains plug which needs plugging in.

Thank you both. Most surprised to see the photograph. I am not technically minded.

White cable from wall goes to TV. Brown cable goes from wall to black box. A third cable on the side of box is the power cable. Seems an awful lot of cables for one TV signal.

Since setting up the TV again after the engineer's 'help,' it does appear to be working with only the occasional switch off.

I've answered a lot of queries recently on another forum about Freeview freezing or some stations being unavailable. I don't think it has been mentioned here yet, did you do the retune on Sept 3rd?

There's a lot of folk who have been caught out by this. They either didn't retune, or (more common) just let the TV do a rescan. It depends on the TV as there are some exceptions, but a rescan often just refreshes where the TV has stored the previous channel memories. That's not quite the same as wiping the slate clean and starting again. If in doubt, have a look if your TV has a First Time Install or Factory Reset option.

Be aware, sometimes these will wipe the picture settings (cont, bri, shrp etc) as well. So if you have your TV set 2just so" then write those settings down before you go. Sods Law says if you write them down then they will be there after. It's when you chance it that you get bit in the bum :LOL:

Re the wall socket. If you're on a communal system then I'd expect Sat 1 and possibly Sat 2 to both be fed from the satellite dish. There's some electronics used in communal system that allows multiple units to share satellite signals in a way that's not possible on domestic systems. I'd expect the socket labelled TV (below Sat1) to just be Freeview. That leaves FM/DAB which is the socket below Sat2.

The last thing I'd expect to see is a power supply for a masthead amplifier. It doesn't make sense because all the cabling would normally go back to a hub location somewhere in the building that acts as a central distribution point. The gear in that hub would be mains powered. So there's no need for a resident to have a masthead amp PSU in their home.

Second, the PSU would only work properly with a connection to a separate aerial, not the communal one.

Any decently set up communal system should give plenty of signal for the TV. They're in a different league to the cowboy-installed domestic aerials, so the installers tend to be a cut above too. I'd be tempted to disconnect the PSU and brown lead completely and just run from the aerial socket to the TV. I would then use the TVs signal strength and quality meter, and expect to see 80-100% on quality, and 50-80% on strength.

The white aerial cable is one of those crappy moulded jobs. They're quite poor at keeping out interference. They also drop a bit more signal level than a decent coax. The design isn't good either. The plug end connections can be broken internally but the plastic sheath hides that, so the cable looks okay but doesn't work as it should. I'd consider buying some decent WF100 coax, some plugs and making up a lead. Or get one complete here http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/WF100_cable.htm

Thanks for your reply. I did retune with First Installation but it didn't make much difference. I will try your suggestions although the engineer said that if I switched off the white (colour blind?) box my neighbour wouldn't get a signal! We have yet to test that as she's just moved in and a bit occupied.

Thanks again.

I will try your suggestions although the engineer said that if I switched off the white (colour blind?) box my neighbour wouldn't get a signal! We have yet to test that as she's just moved in and a bit occupied.

Thanks again.
the engineer said that if I switched off the white (colour blind?) box my neighbour wouldn't get a signal!

Why on earth does your neighbour's TV rely on a power supply running in your house? That's like saying your neighbour can't drive to work unless you fill your car with fuel so they can siphon a bit.

Something is very wrong here.

He said it was a communal system, not whether it was a "good" system !

I own a flat (in a block of four) where all the communal services are fed from the flats - ie no landlords supply which means no shared bill for a fifth lecky supply. TV dist amp comes from one flat, an outside light comes from my flat, the front door bell/intercom system comes from another ... So it's certainly not impossible that the communal distribution system is fed from one flat.
But are any multiswitches line powered like that ?

Dear Both,
Thank you for your replies. I don't know the answers!

All I know is that the main aerial is on the community centre's roof and the signals I assume are bounced from that. Logically I suppose if my black box affects next door then it would do the same to the others. I live in a block of four bungalows.

I think it will remain one of life's mysteries.

After a quick search I find that there are multiswitches* powered up the line - such as this one http://www.vision-products.co.uk/catalogue/product/V5-508

If you want to know for sure what system you have, see if you can find where the satellite disk and aerial cables come together and then branch out to the different properties. You'll most likely find a box vaguely similar to this - post a photo (particularly if it shows the model !) and someone will be able to confirm what it is.

So it might just be that whoever installed the system decided to make it line powered (perhaps there's no mains in a handy location) and it's just chance that your property is the one with the power supply.

* A multiswitch takes the four combinations of signal from the sat dish, optionally adds in terrestrial, and distributes it down multiple cables to the outlets/receivers. To the sat receiver, it looks just like an LNB, and it will provide the signal the receiver selects (high or low band, horizontal or vertical polarisation). In larger installations, they can have lots of outputs - in yours, it might just be 8 (2 to each property).
Some support 2 sat dishes (so you can get signals from 2 different birds) and to the receiver it looks like it's connected to 2 dishes via (I think) a Disceq switch. Eg http://www.vision-products.co.uk/catalogue/product/V9-912

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back