Satinwood Coming off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I painted some wood panels that were dark stained. I was advised here to use satinwood. I not only used satinwood but sanded a little, painted with undercoat/primer all in one and 2 coats of satinwood from Bromborough Paints (professional trade paints) I have notice already marks on the panels that have gone down to the dark stain. I only have to softy scuff the surface with my fingernail and it all comes off. I have no idea why :cry:

Sponsored Links
varnish is just paint without the pigment in. You should have sanded it well with a 1/4 sheet sander 80 grit, then two coats of satinwood. Then leave it to harden and stop messing around with it.

I will just keep touching up the bits as i go along. Someone suggested a coating of yaht varnish.i would have thought undercoat primer would have counted for something.

Sponsored Links
Most are water based and they don't like smooth varnish - hence the sanding.

I was thinking of contacting the paint company because I still have the receipt. All said and done the paint shouldn't be this soft a month on.

It stays soft for months if you do two coats. The top coat covers the underneath coat and stops it from drying. Also, most DIYers can't paint. They think they can but they can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back