Satinwood on architraves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of redecorating our bathroom and I bought a tin of Dulux Quickdry Satinwood which claims not to require an undercoat but I applied some BandQ Wood primer & undercoat.

Anyway, the 1st coat has gone on and I'm not happy with it because the brush marks are visible.

How can I improve the appearance when applying the 2nd coat?

I am using a BandQ synthetic filament brush (not their budget range either). I'm planning on giving it a fine sand (with some 320 paper) before applying the 2nd coat.

Appreciate any tips.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure that most decs will agree with me that you are doing everything right so far.
it is just the nature of water based paint products that the brush mark problem is common in gloss finishes and satin!
even if you were painting glass!! the brush marks would show!
you could try three or four coats to get a more pleasing finish this is possible as it dries so quickly though i wouldn't try rubbing down between coats as it may start to damage the built up layers.
hope this helps

I would suggest sanding until you're happy that the brush marks are gone (maybe use wet and dry if they don't shift with 320 or use a coarser grade - especially if the marks are from the primer/uc) then coat again applying liberally and finishing with very light brush strokes (just the tip of the brush - upstrokes for the uprights).

The best brush for avoiding visible brushstrokes is one that has very fine hair tips - a worn brush will generally have finer tips than an equivalent new brush.

Aim to work continuously and try to avoid going back over previous wet sections as paint is increasingly likely to hold brush marks as it gets further into the drying stage.

As Instone says - extra coats may improve things but get a flat surface to start with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back