Saving Photographs

S

Shutpa

About to give away our old PC but Mrs B is concerned that we will lose all of the holiday photos it stores. Is there an easy way of recovering them?

Sponsored Links
Get yourself to your nearest Adldi or Maplins or PCWorld and get a couple of these:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6768.htm?WT.mc_id=2008-08-01-10-56

You just plug it into a USB Port and COPY all your pictures (in the one folder to make it easier) to it. I say Copy not Move so that you can check that they are all on the flash drive before deleting from your hard drive.
You can copy all your 'My Documents' to it if you wish. Then when you get a new PC just plug it in and copy eveyting into the My Documents folder on your new PC.
dave

Thanks guys. don't think that the computer in question has a facility for burning CD's and the reason it was replaced was because my son ruined one of the USB ports with a screwdriver. Excuse my ignorance, but is a flash drive another name for a pen drive or are they completely different things?

Sponsored Links
Flash drive / Pen drive all the same thing.
Will any of your USB ports work?
Usually the rear ones are on a different bus to the front ones, so if he damaged a front one try some usb hardware (printer or something in a rear one. If it works then a USB Pen/Flashdrive will work in the same port.

dave

Incidentally, it is very important to backup anything important to CD regularly. Once a month is fairly convenient.

the distress and upheaval when data is lost (by hard-disk crash, theft, fire etc) is enormous compard to a few pence for a blank CD.

If you have business or financial data on it, it is worth backing up daily (there are other ways to do that)

All hard disks crash eventually.

To transfer:
(a) Just your pictures:

1. Insert the USB Flash drive into a USB Port. To check that it is recognised:
Open My Computer and see that it is included in the drives, it will show something like ‘UDISK(D: ), and make a note of which letter has been assigned to it. Close My Computer

2. Open My Documents
Right click My Pictures -> Point at ’Send To’ -> in the menu click on the drive letter. A Transfer window will open showing the progress.

3. When the transfer is complete click the Safely Remove icon in the systray next to the clock and click the drive letter of the Flash drive then remove it.

(b) All the My Documents Folder

Firstly check the size of the My Docs Folder to ensure that it will fit on the USB Flash Drive. To do this, in the Start Menu right click My Documents -> click Properties -> General Tab.
Look at the ‘size on disk’ and if it is less than the size of the USB Flash drive then you are OK.

1. Follow 1. Above.

2. Open My documents. Click Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab. In the list under Hidden Files and folders check the dot is against Show Hidden files and folders -> Apply -> OK

3. Back to My Docs. Click Edit -> select All -> Right click anyone of the highlighted folders and point at ‘Send To’ -> in the menu click on the drive letter. The transfer window will appear showing progress.

4. When the transfer is complete click the Safely Remove icon in the systray next to the clock and click the drive letter of the Flash drive then remove it.

After completing either of the above:

Either plug the Flash Drive into another computer or plug it back into your old computer.
Start -> My Computer -> double click the UDISK drive and it should open a window with all the contents of the drive showing. It will either be My Pictures or the full My Documents.
Once satisfied that you have copied them to the flash drive you can do what you want with the old computer.
If you plugged it into a new computer to check, then you can right click the folder and select send to and click My Documents in the list. It will transfer them all to your new computer.
Hope that helps.
dave

If you don't have a CD burner or USB port to save the files to disc or pen drive, do you have an internet connection on it?

If so, open a Photobucket account (it's free and can be made private) and upload all the pictures to the Photobucket account, then when you get your new computer, you can download them again, leave them on Photobucket, do both, save them to disc or whatever. If you're anything like me, you back up your back ups of your backups............................. :D

Cheers guys, the photo transfer is complete and it was even easier than Dave said. After following his instructions to copy the prints, I plugged the Flash Drive into the new computer and up came a window offering various options, one of which was did I want to transfer the photos via windows.

Back to Alison's suggestion about saving photos on-line. How is this done and is it limited to photographs? Also, someone else suggested a back-up once a month. How is this achieved?

You can save photo's and videos to Photobucket.

I use it for posting pics up on forums but you could use it for just storing your pictures and videos.

I used to use Yahoo Photos but it got changed to Flickr and although I've still got pictures on there, I've not used it yet.

www.photobucket.com

www.flickr.com

You can have a look and see what you think.

Also, someone else suggested a back-up once a month. How is this achieved?
Assuming your new PC has a CD or DVD writer, it probably has a program for writing discs, or you can probably do it with your version of Windows.

Try putting a blank disk in the writer, and it will probably open a window asking what you want to do. take an option that says you want to write to it in the most compatible format.

It will then probably ask you what you want to copy to disk. You will probably have to navigate to the directory where you keep your photos or other valuable documents. there will then be something to confirm that you are ready to write.

Give it a try and if you can't figure it out, tell us what program it opens and what it asks you.

whenever you copy something to a disk, always open and read it to make sure you can see the pictures (in case the write has failed)

You will probably be able to put the disk in a DVD player and the pics will appear on the TV. This is a handy way to send them to friends and relations.

Inserted a disk about 15 minutes ago and after the formatting was apparently complete, a new window popped up informing me that Windows was unable to complete the formatting. I have removed the disk.

PS Have just discovered that I inserted a DVD and NOT a CD! Would this have made a difference John D or anyone else who can help. Really quite keen on this back up idea.

1) try it with a recordable CD

2) if your PC has a DVD writer, then it might need a suitable bit of software (I have not got one so don't know). But try from Internet Explorer "Tools" "Update Windows" in case there is a free update.

My CD writer came with an installation disk with Roxio software for writing and reading in various formats. See what installation disks you have, and try "Control Panel" "System" "Hardware" "Device Manager" "DVD/CD drives" (for some reason mine says ROM drives which is wrong) and should tell you what sort of drive you have, and put a :!: by it if it has a problem.

BTW DVD players can usually read and display pictures from CDs.

problem with on line photo storage is if they go bust / close without telling you. one did which is why some old posts on this forum hav a url but no image the popular host stopped hosting pictures

Sponsored Links
Back