Saving Photographs

I use www.carbonite.com to back all important files, software and settings. Your selected files are constantly backed up online. Storage is unlimited.

Also do a HD back up of files and settings

And if you want to be sure, do two DVD/CD back ups (on good quality media) and keep these separate in the house. Don't trust a single CD/DVD for long term storage - it may not be that reliable

Sponsored Links
I use www.carbonite.com to back all important files, software and settings. Your selected files are constantly backed up online.

Had a look at carbonite and really like the idea. How much is it in the UK?

Since I transferred my photos using a pen drive will they still be stored in that pen drive and if so how long can I keep them there?

So long as you 'Copied' them and not 'Moved' them, they will still be on the flash drive and will stay there until you delete them.
Just to confirm that they are still on it, plug it in and it should open with the folder showing in a window.

dave

Thanks for that Dave. I see a supermarket has a 4GB stick on offer at £10. Is this a fair price to pay and how much of the information on an average PC can be copied on to it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Dave. I see a supermarket has a 4GB stick on offer at £10. Is this a fair price to pay and how much of the information on an average PC can be copied on to it?

4GB..................... :p

Bolo,
To check the size of ALL the folders in your My Documents folder:
Open My Documents -> click Tools -> Folder Options -> View Tab. In the Advanced box scroll down to and put a dot in 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' -> Apply -> OK.

Back in My Documents -> click Edit -> click Select All. That should highlite all the folders.
Right click any one of the folders and click Properties. In the general tab it should show you the total size of all the folders in My Documents. You will then know if it will fit on a 4GB stick.

There will be a difference in the two sizes of 'Size' and 'Size on Disk', when calculating use the bigger number.

When you have done that and got your Documents size, go back to the underlined bit and repeat it but put the dot in the 'Hide Hidden etc.'

dave

trazor";p="985321 said:
4GB..................... :p

Cheers for the info Dave. I am going to try it out on the old computer and will let you know how I get on.
And trazor, since it must be obvious to you and to anyone else who reads my posts regarding software, I am a computer illiterate. Consequently I haven't a clue what you are on about. Please explain so that I know where I went wrong.

I suspect that it was a bit of a p1ss-take!.
You asked how much info you can get on a 4GB flash stick so the answer was 4GB.

Five years ago I couldn't even switch a computer on, so you are not alone at being a starter. Being long term ill, I spend a lot of my time on the computers now and have taught myself quite a bit. I can now switch one on!
I spent a lot of my time learning from other computer help forums and now I do my best to help others where I did my learning.

dave

how much info you can get on a 4GB flash stick so the answer was 4GB.............................................Being long term ill,

I didn't even know that! However, being more or less in the same situ as yourself, I now have lots of time to do something about my lack of expertise.

The instructions you gave were crystal clear and I now know how much space(?) 'my documents' take up.
Must have a look for those other forums.

Had a look at carbonite and really like the idea. How much is it in the UK?

Since I transferred my photos using a pen drive will they still be stored in that pen drive and if so how long can I keep them there?

Its in $, and about $49 per year - less if you pay for more years at once, so thats about £26 per year at current exchange rates. You may see some offers if you google and there is a trial you can take, to see how it works

The data is backed up from the PC and you set what files, or file types or directories to want to back up. So you would have to copy the files from the pen drive to the PC.

Sponsored Links
Back