Savoy bathroom sink pop up plug replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a Savoy bathroom sink, we pushed the pop up plunger and felt something go, having looked at it the metal part on the down pipe from the plug has corroded and broken off. I have detached the connector and need ti replace the pop up part and down pipe, however unlike all the diagrams and clips on youtube replacing that part - where they simply unscrew it, there does not appear to be that facility, is it that there is a simple technique used or somewhat rediculously you have to replace the whole sink. The shot attached shows the pipe with hole in and also the plug downpipe, the white disk is a washer fixed with some sealant, the metal part appears to be wider than the ceramic bowl so I can’t simply push the pipe up.

Attachments

• D777198E-457F-4FF3-86CA-2A5867C679B1.jpeg
    D777198E-457F-4FF3-86CA-2A5867C679B1.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
It’ll unscrew, counter clockwise. It’ll have a 2 part threaded piece/waste.

Ok thanks, if I place a screwdriver into the hole of the bit which broke and twist it the whole plug and pipe revolves, is there a way to stop the basin plug turning?

I have seen in all the videos the unscrewing part is easy - there is usually simply an independent part which would be where the white plastic part is on the pic, for further clarification the shot shows the metal is all one part with a plastic washer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, if I place a screwdriver into the hole of the bit which broke and twist it the whole plug and pipe revolves, is there a way to stop the basin plug turning?
Use a screwdriver or 2 in the slotted waste above then undo the bottom half whilst holding the top half.

Thanks for your help, both screw drivers start to bend. I guess I’ll use something stronger - the essence of the solution is keep pushing and eventually it’ll turn.

Reactions: CBW
Nasty alloy waste. Had one rot on me like that.

That waste has been fitted with a basin mate or equivalent https://www.toolstation.com/basin-mate/p37534
When I tried fitting one with the new waste I found it too hard to get on by rotation - even with copious silicon grease... So I reverted to my tried and trusted plumbers mate and waste-supplied washers.
You may need to resort to cutting it off? Especially if the *plumber* has siliconed it all into place (as it looks like it is to me)?

Ideally you want a good quality brass waste and I will only now fit the 'captive waste' variety in my home. See a recent thread https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/how-to-unstuck-a-stuck-plug-clacker-basin-waste.574170/

The 'push rod' will become redundant, but keep it to fill the hole in the tap rear. Naturally if you prefer the pop up variety seek a decent quality brass version.

Ah thanks rodders, so basically get my angle grinder on the go and carefully try and cut the offending part off? The silicon has been used but i can scrape it off.

Ok so I tried the grip and pliers option and this happened….What should I go for now, hack saw the threaded bit off I guess?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
What grips do you have ?
Large pump pliers should grip the collar ( the metal bit covered by the white seal)Grip that and have a second person above with long nosed pliers preventing the top of the waste from turning, whilst below you turn clockwise.

One of these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 44
I think I have tried everything, the hole in the plug that I have the pliers in is now bending I’m pushing so hard. I’ll take the hack saw to it, thanks for all your help everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back