How to unstuck a stuck plug? (Clacker basin waste)

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a sink with a plug that you push down to engage, and then push again for it to pop up. Lately it has been a little stiff, and today it became stuck in the down position. I've tried pushing it to 'pop' it, but not having any luck. It moved down, but then ever popped up. Argh!

Here is a video of the same sink in another bathroom - also starting to get stiff.

Is there something else I can try?

Sponsored Links
Progress, of sorts ... I managed to unscrew the plug, so the sink is now usable. But the bit that the plug screws into is stuck down (the shiny coper bit should stick out a bit more). Any tips on how to raise this?

And is there some general regular maintenance that I should be doing to this (normally movable) part to ensure it doesn't get stuck like this again?

The brass part screws into the chrome waste, so get a spanner on its flats and unscrew it. Once out they normally have a small screw in the side; remove this and the whole shebang can be dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and refitted.

As for removing the stuck plug, try using one of those sucker sticks normally used to grind in car cylinder head valves. It'll allow you to push down and pull up, and once the head is up the dismantling procedure is as above.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Sponsored Links
@dilalio Are you suggesting that the whole silvery thing can be removed? I didn't know you could do that. Why is the one you suggested better? I guess it's easier to clean so keep popping? Thank you for your suggestion.

@MeldrewsMate Thank you. I managed to twist the shiny top off. I'll try unscrewing the mechanism as you suggest. I have since watched a video on YouTube where a guy dismantled one and showed how it works. Fingers crossed I can unscrew the mechanism.

Given they are only a few pounds, I'd recommend it is replaced. Once they start to get 'sticky' invariably they are starting to wear out. Personally I don't use them any more, I now prefer to use the captive turn type.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Thanks to your help I was able to get it out and clean it. :D I felt like one of the guys on The Repair Shop! There was a mix of gunk and limescale. It seems to work after cleaning, but should I have applied some kind of grease?

As for going down the replacement route @Madrab where do you recommend I get replacements from? I worry about cheap items on eBay/Amazon that don't last (or worse end up causing more damage) and don't know what manufacturer/brand names to look for (and avoid).

The brass part screws into the chrome waste, so get a spanner on its flats and unscrew it. Once out they normally have a small screw in the side; remove this and the whole shebang can be dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and refitted.
What would you use to lubricate this with?

My local indy sells the clicker mechanism separately. It's a brass cartridge that screws into the waste one end and the mushroom cap the other.
If you've got hard water, you're going to go through these at a rate of about 1 per year, maybe more.

I've ordered a replacement clicker mechanism, although I haven't yet tried to remove the old one...

I replace the pop-up and click-clack basin wastes with the 'captive turn' style Madrab mentioned earlier in the thread aka 'flip waste' s as the others give trouble. SWMBO had a job with the click clack not staying down or opening back up and pop ups were hard to operate for her... and we had seen and used the flip wastes in some hotel stays. Easy peasy to use for her.

Do not get the type with a rubber ring on the flip part - quality chromed brass versions seal perfectly - and the ring can make the mechanism 'stiffer' to use (hotel experience). Mine are branded "Architeckt" and we bought from Amazon. Not the cheapest but not that much more than the rubber ring offerings. There are probably other equally good brands available.

Mine are branded "Architeckt" and we bought from Amazon. Not the cheapest but not that much more than the rubber ring offerings.
I see they do both the rubber ring type and spherical seal:

1671625878650.png

I see they do both the rubber ring type and spherical seal:
Well I never --- and I thought Amazon @ £13.99 were expensive for the non-rubber seal version. (£1 more than when I last bought a pair exactly two years ago, though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back