1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How to unstuck a stuck plug? (Clacker basin waste)

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by r_c, 8 Jul 2021.

1. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We have a sink with a plug that you push down to engage, and then push again for it to pop up. Lately it has been a little stiff, and today it became stuck in the down position. I've tried pushing it to 'pop' it, but not having any luck. It moved down, but then ever popped up. Argh!

Here is a video of the same sink in another bathroom - also starting to get stiff.

Is there something else I can try?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Progress, of sorts ... I managed to unscrew the plug, so the sink is now usable. But the bit that the plug screws into is stuck down (the shiny coper bit should stick out a bit more). Any tips on how to raise this?

And is there some general regular maintenance that I should be doing to this (normally movable) part to ensure it doesn't get stuck like this again?

4. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. MeldrewsMate

MeldrewsMate

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The brass part screws into the chrome waste, so get a spanner on its flats and unscrew it. Once out they normally have a small screw in the side; remove this and the whole shebang can be dismantled, cleaned, lubricated and refitted.

As for removing the stuck plug, try using one of those sucker sticks normally used to grind in car cylinder head valves. It'll allow you to push down and pull up, and once the head is up the dismantling procedure is as above.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @dilalio Are you suggesting that the whole silvery thing can be removed? I didn't know you could do that. Why is the one you suggested better? I guess it's easier to clean so keep popping? Thank you for your suggestion.

@MeldrewsMate Thank you. I managed to twist the shiny top off. I'll try unscrewing the mechanism as you suggest. I have since watched a video on YouTube where a guy dismantled one and showed how it works. Fingers crossed I can unscrew the mechanism.

7. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Given they are only a few pounds, I'd recommend it is replaced. Once they start to get 'sticky' invariably they are starting to wear out. Personally I don't use them any more, I now prefer to use the captive turn type.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. r_c

r_c

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks to your help I was able to get it out and clean it. :D I felt like one of the guys on The Repair Shop! There was a mix of gunk and limescale. It seems to work after cleaning, but should I have applied some kind of grease?

As for going down the replacement route @Madrab where do you recommend I get replacements from? I worry about cheap items on ebay/amazon that don't last (or worse end up causing more damage) and don't know what manufacturer/brand names to look for (and avoid).

9. Sponsored Links