saw what!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
What would you recomend is the best tool to cut 2inch off the side of an external wooden door. I have a jigsaw (black and decker quatro) would that be ok or am i to go down to B&Q?

cheers in advance. :evil:

Sponsored Links
can you take that much off without knackering the door? (Chances are it'll fall to bits, which would be nice as its an external!

Firstly Rob's right; 2" is too much to take off a standard door...though yours could be outsized which would be okay...

And you wouldn't take it off one side becasue you'd have a unbalanced look to it...unless it's a featurless panel door. Which I doubt it is as it's external.

You take half off each side. Your quatro isn't the ideal tool...it's a light domestic-use only tool and not too good according to all the reviews of it I've read...but will just about do the job. I'd suggest cutting 7/8 off each side and finishing with a plane to take the remainder of the stock off and to allow you to level off the bevel that the quatro will almost inevitably leave you with.

The reason you shouldn't really be taking 2" off is because you run a very real risk of cutting into the tenons from the top, bottom and mid rails. Not good. Your door could disintegrate after a bad winter!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back