Staywell Catflap 932

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am about to fit a magnetic catflap into a upvc. I have marked out the size and drilled four holes in the corners for the jigsaw, however, it seems the panel is metal and I need to get a metal bit for my jigsaw.

Before I do so i would like some advice. CAn i cut the hole out with an angle grinder instead or is this overkill??

Because the flap is magnetic and the door panel metal, I have to fit a wooden frame in between the door surface and flap. Does anyone know how thick this should be. Does the frame have to go on both sides or just one?

Answers to these questions and any other advice from someone who has fitted one of these devices would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sparks from a grinder is likely to permanetly mark uvpc finish.
The spacer just needs to be on the side containing the magnetic mechanism.
6-9mm ply should be ok.

thanks for the reply.

I did email staywell at the same time as posting and they say basically I have to cut a bigger hole in the door to fit a wooden frame and then cut the wooden frame to fit the flap. - this has confused me. What holds the frame in place. I thought you simply use a frame as a spacer.

Could someone explain further.

Many thanks

As a very simple explanation, imagine you cut a hole in the door with a jig saw this hole being approx 25mm longer and wider than the cat flap, positioned over this hole a square piece of waterproof plywood.
This is fitted on the outside of the door, centrally over the hole, then using catflap template, cut hole to suit, in the centre of the square plywood, and fit flap.
Hope this helps.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
why don't you just buy a new PVC flat panel for the bottom of your door and cut it out of that?

How do you train a cat to run at a solid door, with the belief, the door will open? Or other cats not to? I see many people walking into patio doors on YBF!, would other cats trained in the art of using a catflap, not use your catflap to steal your cats food? Or do you feed the local population of cats in your area?

How do you train a cat to run at a solid door, with the belief, the door will open? Or other cats not to? I see many people walking into patio doors on YBF!, would other cats trained in the art of using a catflap, not use your catflap to steal your cats food? Or do you feed the local population of cats in your area?
I take it you are joking? :D

I take it you are joking? :D

I thought I asked a quite legitimate question? How do you train a cat to use a trapdoor? And what is to stop any other creature, to use that trapdoor? Would you run at a closed door, in the belief that that if you headbutted it, it would open? So, the question remains, how do you train a cat to use a trapdoor, and how do you prevent other animals accessing it?

I saw a report that had a cat with a collar that contained a transponder, and it would only open for that cat, but surely why would an animal headbutt a door?

Well if you really don't know the cat does not run at the door it simply pushes the flap open with it's nose as it is released as soon as the cats collar gets within a few inches of the flap.Training is simple the flap is left open when the cat is outside and food left just inside so the cat is encouraged to use the access.Cats are naturally curious and smart so even this is not always required, they can and do open windows and ordinary doors on the own. My cat uses our catflap without training, if the flap is locked she will use a ground floor window, if none are open she will use a first floor window, if none are open she will rattle the front door to be let in, she even managed to operate the door knocker on a few occassions when desparate to get in.Internally she opens doors with her claws or stretches to hang on the door handles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back