Removing a catflap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has a catflap installed in a wooden door in the utility room. The previous owners had a cat (and so does the rest of the area it seems). It normally wouldn't bother us but we've had slugs in the utility room and I noticed slime trails on the wooden door emanating from the cat flap. I've had a close look and I don't think it's been sealed in properly.

If I remove the catflap, how do I deal with the remaining hole?
If I leave the catflap in place, how do I seal up the gaps so the slugs can't get in?

Sponsored Links
Cat flap should lock shut, if not run a bead of sealant around, if removing then will require a panel either side to make good.

Got round to looking at the door and catflap today. Here's the door without the catflap:

IMG_6583_zpsqunhd4rr.jpg

4 panel wooden door. With the catflap fitted, there's a lot of gaps around the catflap - probably too big for sealant (I'd have to layer it or something).

At some point in the future, the door will be replaced but that might not be for 1-2 years. I was thinking of some pieces of wood on either side, maybe just nailed in, and then varnish over to match.

What do you think? I'd be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yep, use screws not nails though.

If your sure your going to replace it, bevel the outside bit of wood so there is less to pry and ensure any screws are on the inside so it cannot be removed from outside.

Scumbags can get in through cat flaps, hard to believe but they do, they can stick wires through to get keys etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back