Catflaps in UPVC door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, my first post.

Firstly, I know nothing of DIY. I can paint a wall but thats about it! However we are moving into an old house that needs quite a bit of work so I'll have to learn sharpish!

First thing we need to do is install a cat flap in the kitchen door, which is of the UPVC type (I think thats what its called! :confused: )

Is it even possible to do this? If so how do you do it?

I assume I need a catflap, a drill or a saw, and some glue? :?:

Also, how do you go about finding a reliable builder in your area? We know almost no-one where we are moving apart from one couple who live in a newbuild, so not much good they'll be by way of recommendations!

Thanks all. :D

Edit - Oops may have posted this to wrong forum

Sponsored Links
Hi

Most catflaps are sold with a template to work off. After marking the door with the template, drill a hole in each corner and cut out with a jigsaw. Treat a uPVC door the same as timber. You don't need adhesive but you may want to seal the edges on the outside with some clear or white silicon.

Try the FMB for a local builder

Thanks mac, whats an FMB?

Treat the door like timber? So I should hit it with an axe and throw it on the fire? Just joking! :D

Fortuitously, I recently inherited a jigsaw.

FMB = fedration of master builders, but still wise to check them out yourself, once you have finished with your axe and fire regime!!

Good luck with your fortuitous inheritance "the jigsaw" You do know you have to plug it in?

There is always RSPCA should you struggle my southern monkey, sorry friend....

Sponsored Links
op - if your cat(s) have been microchipped, I can heartily recommend sureflap cat flaps. Definitely keeps strays out and my cats safe. Costs £80 or so, but call it an investment. ;) :LOL: :LOL:

FMB = fedration of master builders, but still wise to check them out yourself, once you have finished with your axe and fire regime!!

Good luck with your fortuitous inheritance "the jigsaw" You do know you have to plug it in?

There is always RSPCA should you struggle my southern monkey, sorry friend....

Wont do much good plugging it in.... its got no blade! But seriously, its a Bosch so should be some good kit.

Thanks for the FMB tip. I was wandering if there was a proffesional association of some sort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back