Advice!! Catflap in exterior wall has hit a stud?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad offered to install my catflap in my new house. I don't have a backdoor, only glass patio doors. So I opted to have one installed in the wall which gives the cat access via a tunnel.

Basically we have hit a problem in that after creating the hole we discovered there is a stud in the wall that we would need to cut through. There is one to the left and to the right as far as I can see, so my question is - can we cut through or remove a 'chunk' of the stud in order to create the tunnel and allow the catflap door to open fully. I've attached some photos.

The cat flap is being installed in a garage conversion from the back wall out in to the back garden. Would the hole need to be reinforced like a window? Would it cause major issues to cut through it?

I've included an exterior photo of where the catflap is (its been covered up behind the slab and plank of wood temporarily)

Many thanks in advance
(apologies the photos are not rotated correctly...!)

View media item 91530 View media item 91529 View media item 91528 View media item 91531 View media item 91532 View media item 91533 View media item 91535 View media item 91537 View media item 91538 View media item 91539

Sponsored Links
The studwork appears to be finished with OSB lining, so cutting through the stud shouldn't be a structural problem, particularly if it's single storey.

I'd agree with tony. It wouldn't normally be advisable to cut part of a timber frame away but being sheathed and on a single storey extension it won't cause a structural issue.

Although if it were mine I'd have had a glass panel made for the doors.

Sponsored Links
Although if it were mine I'd have had a glass panel made for the doors.
Ditto. Plus you have the added humour of watching the cat swing with the door whilst in mid-passage. :mrgreen:

It ain't cheap though. I think it costs aboot £70 rips just to get the holes drilled.

If you can get the panel thickness measured, and install it yourself then you'll save a small fortune.

You won't be able to cut what's there because it should be toughened.

Cats don't like tunnels because they can't see what's hiding at the other end, and they can't run back to safety like a normal door flap.

I'm quite happy with it going in the wall, I'm putting a blind up on the patio door so it would just get in the way. I'm sure she'll get used to the tunnel ;) her previous catflap was in the back door, she hated that too at first and then eventually just got used to it, she is in and out constantly now. Even when the door is lying open she'll go out through the catflap...lol!

Quick update. We cut away a wedge to the left of the hole to see what was going on at that side, it looks like its adequately supported even if we cut away the chunk on the right hand side...

If only the cat knew how much work she's causing ;)

View media item 91631 View media item 91632 View media item 91633 View media item 91634

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back