Adding catflap to conservatory wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I've started adding a catflap into a wall in my conservatory. I have cut a square through some plasterboard to be presented with a breeze block. I really need to cut a nice neat square hole through the breeze block, but I can't seem to work out how to do it. Any ideas appreciated.

"Get a builder" will be a last resort.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
get a long masonry drill bit and drill numerous holes in a square pattern to suit what you need then with a bolster chisel join up the holes until you can remove the middle, then clean up the edges.

If the breeze blocks are actually aerated blocks (eg Thermalite) then you can cut the hole with a normal wood saw

Okay, so I got a long masonry bit. It got through the breeze block no problem, but it hit a snag. I kept drilling, but it would not go. Looking through the hole I thought I could see daylight, so I didn't understand what the problem was. Then I realised that it was the reflection from some metal and not daylight. D'oh.

Any ideas? The metal can't be too thick, but I don't know if I have the tools/skills to finish this job. If I get a builder/handyman in, how much do you reckon it should cost?

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
You may have hit a metal wall tie, in which case you could drill through it with a HSS bit.

However, as your aim is to cut a square hole in the will, just move past it and carry on drilling the masonry with the masonry bit. If you have wall ties which are obstructing the hole when you've removed most of the masonry, you can cut them with a hacksaw or an angle grinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back