Cutting door for catflap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a solid wood exterior back door - as can be see there's lower panels that are removable.

I'd like to install a catflap, however, the hole circumference is a little larger than the removable panel. Any advice on doing this? Not sure if I can just jigsaw away or if any precautions/sealing is required afterwards.

Thanks
DSC_0341.JPG

Sponsored Links
If you've got a jigsaw with a fine cut blade, then mark the area to cut, drill a pilot hole and go carefully through panel, and the wood. Have you decided on the best position for the catflap, as you'll need to fill in the difference in the gap from the thickness of the two materials.

Hi Doggit,

Not sure on position yet, I'd probably fill any thickness difference with clear silicone, it was really to check it's ok to take a little bit out of the transom/s and if any type of end grain sealer would be required.

You could just put a thin seal of the sealant, on the cut wood; but how much would you be cutting out of the transoms.

Sponsored Links
Not much, probably arc in an inch or so at highest point.

As long as you're not cutting into the transoms too much, then you should be fine. An inch or so off of both wouldn't ruin their strength, bearing in mind that the higher you site it, the cat may struggle more to get through. Best of luck.

If there is food inside most cats could make it thru a flap in the top of the door.
My mother in laws cat regularly used the louvre window in the top of the kitchen window, 7ft up , he used his body weight to open it when he found it closed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back