Repair crack in old timber door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to renovate my old timber front door. There’s a crack that separates just below the moulding that holds in one of the lower panels. This will not push back in flush to the surface, but I can’t figure out why. I guess it’s possible the wood behind has swollen in some way?

What should I do? The only thing I can think of is to cut it away, remove small bits of wood behind until the piece sits flush, and then fill any cracks, sand and paint. But I thought I should seek some advice.

Thanks.

IMG_5901.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I used repair care dry flex resin. 4 hour set..
They sell one that don't need the resin primer for smaller repairs.

Or you just use the standard 2 pack filler. Sand and paint. That's the cheapest option. Depends what sort of job you want to make off it

That's the two options..

to do it properly you need to remove the broken off bit clean out the faces to get it sit properly glue and clamp avoiding glue on panel
if its historic damage the edge to panel may have paint and filler holding it off so needs removing to allow repair to sit propperly in place

Sponsored Links
Yes, pretty sure it will be the hard old paint gluing it into position.

On a panelled door, each rectangular panel fits into grooves in the horizontal and vertical timbers, enabling it to slide slightly in and out as it expands and contracts with changes in weather and humidity.

Unless you have it dipped, you need to use a hot air gun and scrapers, followed by sandpaper, to clean off the old paint. You will then probably find that by swiping the halves of the panel with the heel of your hand, you can move them apart enough to put glue in the crack, and together enough to close the gap while it dries. Do not get glue into the grooves of the vertical and horizontal timbers.

When repainting, use very little paint round the edges of the panels so it does not fill the gap and fix them in place.

Desperate times!

Put something flat in the horizontal crack and very gently open it to see if you can scape anything out, if so do so, then squirt some wood glue in along the full length and then dill a couple of holes vertical but on a slight angle down through the beading and into the lower part of the door and this will tight up the two pieces. Fill, sand and square it off as necessary and then paint it.

For the crack in the panel, a flexible, paintable mastic would be easiest. Squirt some in and then level it off before painting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back