Leaking oak French doors, suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had French doors fitted in the summer . When they close, it seems the doors sit inside the lip, so water pools under them. I asked for a small strip of wood to create an overhang but think the water runs behind this.
As you can see from the photos the doors have swollen.

So what to do.
How to seal the peices of extra wood so the water doesn't run behind?
How to sand or shave the doors?
Finally how to close or seal the gap at the corner?

New to wood, know you have to work to keep it nice.
All advice welcome
Thanks

Sponsored Links

Both doors with the extra peices of wood added after to try and stop water pooling under the doors

does the sill have a fall on it away from the doors? it looks very flat to me

I would suggest a bigger weather strip that will shed the water further away from the door with a bead of silicone along the top

But don't try to adjust the doors until they are completely dried out or you may find they shrink too much

you can always taken a little off but very difficult to put it back on ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheers
There isn't much drop on it.
I think the problem lies that the doors close right above or even 1mm in of the flat part of the door sill.
So when water runs down the door or somehow pools under it.

IF you look at the middle picture showing a close up of the open door, the brown seal squelches with a small amount of water when I close the door.

So will wait for a dry spot, keep the doors open, hopefully the dry as much as possible and replace the exterior bead with one that is large enough to help, but more importantly is sealed at the top.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back