SBR or PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi......i need advice on how to fill in missing plaster behind old skirting.
I am going to stick board to it afterwards. Do i PVA or SBR the wall first then fill with cement or bonding?
Thanks
John
20180811_102447.jpg

Sponsored Links
Neither.

Beleive it or not, Onecoat or bonding is designed to stick to walls.

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, does carlite bonding stick to the old black mortar and the old plaster above the gap?

Bonding seems to stick to anything! Just scrape all the loose stuff off, brush away any dust, and brush or spray a bit of water on first.

If plastering over plaster, then make sure the existing plaster is sound.

PVA (as well as water) will help control the suction/shrinkage and give a wee bit more working time. Be aware though, once you add water to bonding, you are on the clock. When it goes - it goes rapidly. So make sure you are prepped and have some clean water ready to wash the tools and the mixing bucket etc.

I am a decorator, rather than a plasterer. I often see hairline cracks where new bonding meets old plaster. For that reason I would recommend PVA rather than just wetting the old plaster.

I tend to use SBR in situations where I don't want the water in adhesives to soak in to the the substrate, eg when tiling over plaster. PVA is often used but the water in the adhesives (or leaks) can reactivate the PVA and result in the tiles blowing or falling off. Additionally when doing exterior masonry repairs, SBR is preferable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back