SBR query

Old school rc. I am starting to forget a lot of the stuff the young un's are talkin about now.... ;)

Sponsored Links
i still get asked (told really) to go and get 2 bags of carlite, when im working with my OLD mate.......us young uns dont know how easy we've got it..... :p

You'll never sort it whilst you are drying clothes in the house.

This is so true also, i know you cant always put them on the line, but as joe says it will never dry out when you leave wet clother airing.

Have you got your de humidifier on yet?

SBR slurry works, ive used it today. It stops water.

But as mentioned, some houses are made with lime which has to breathe. If you have a stone wall. which has lime mortar on in, and you hack it off, and stick plasterboards on it, skim it...it will look fantastic. But down the line it will all go wrong. Stuff made and used in the last 25 years or so, is modern and meant for modern techniques. This is what i know and was taught.

Old houses need to be aprroached differently. And what you might find is a builder or plasterer who cant be a***d to do it properly, and can stop water ingress by slurrying it. If you dont have lime render etc then this could be your answer. Do you have any pictures you could post of you internal and external walls? if they are just brick then that will make things easier.

Was that SBR or Soka you used?

Damp problems in older houses are a whole different skill but the thing to stick to is breathable but not always achevable and modern solutions may need to be applied.

Sponsored Links
ignore what i said, i know nothing

I meant to say sbr slurry, or all slurrys work in the right place. I had been using SILKA yesterday, just had sbr on the brain.

Cheers for that peaps, in went on pukka, and the wall was dripping a bit. Went back and checked it this morning and its bone dry.

ignore what i said, i know nothing

I meant to say sbr slurry, or all slurrys work in the right place. I had been using SILKA yesterday, just had sbr on the brain.

Cheers for that peaps, in went on pukka, and the wall was dripping a bit. Went back and checked it this morning and its bone dry.

Yep, it's good stuff worth eery penny ;)

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunatly the exterior has stone slabs attached to the wall so the bricks are not visible at all. the interior has woodchip wallpaper which been overpainted numerous times, so pictures would not help much.

I am not worried about the condensation issues at the moment, only wanted to make sure the plastering goes OK and was wondering if there was a reason to use SBR on the internal walls which have shown no signs of damp.

Thanks
Jono

I am not worried about the condensation issues at the moment, only wanted to make sure the plastering goes OK and was wondering if there was a reason to use SBR on the internal walls which have shown no signs of damp.
Well, I think you should be worried about the condensation issues. It's all related and there is no point in doing work now (like using SBR or any other non-permeable material) which could make your condensation issues worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back