SBR query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am having external levels reduced to below the DPC around the house as there is damp in some of the external walls. I am also getting the whole 1935 bungalow's internal walls replastered at the same time. One bedroom is having insulation board fitted along the damp exterior wall.

The quote I have will be using SBR on all (internal) walls in the house, even ones not affected by damp. Is this more expensive and is it necessary?

Any thoughts on positive pressure fans or would an extractor fan in the kitchen and bathroom be better.

Thanks
Jono

Sponsored Links
do you have an extractor fan in the bathroom? if not get one. As for damp, im learning more and more by the day, one solution may not be the same for another.

Do you have a cavity wall? are your walls cold? Do you have condensation on the windows? If you do, get a de humidifier right now, go out and buy one. As lots of damp in houses can be and normally is condensation.

The sbr slurry stuff will stop damp penetrating in, but if your house has lime plaster and render, then you wall wont be able to breath properly. Its a can of worms really, and as i said there are so many answers and solutions that could help you, and i am no expert!

Where in essex are you? im from harlow so may know what kind of house you have. There are people on here who can answer in far more details than me, it wont be long and they will put there answers on.

No extractor fans anywhere
No cavity walls
The windows are very wet in cold weather and drip onto window cill. We dry clothes inside and have a dehumidifier but dont always use it.
House is in Wickford.

Get an extractor fan fitted in the bathroom immediately. Get it wired to the light if you want but you dont always use the light, so i've got mine manually on a pull cord. As i dont want waking up when someone goes to the toilet in the night.

As for water on the windows and cold, thats condensation no doubt, drying clothes also puts moisture in the air. I would get the de humidifier out now, and leave it on constantly for a few weeks, checking it a few times a day and emptying it, as i bet that will get rid of a lot of the damp ( probably not all as you may have a damp problem ) but id bet money on it, you cure a lot with thede humidifeir on .

brad

Sponsored Links
Is your bungalow made with lime mortar? If so, you need to have a complete re-think of your intentions. Lime is meant to breathe and any modern material (gypsum/cement/plasterboard/SBR) on inside or out is going to prevent that. You have (at least) severe condensation plus (probably) water ingress from the high ground. If you have UPVC doors and windows, a DPC or new cement pointing that makes the dampness even worse.

Try searching on line for "lime mortar" + dampness (or + similar things)

Reducing the ground level is a very good start, as are fitting the suggested extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom and using your dehumidifier more. I suggest that you do all that, check the gutters, flashing, roof, etc are all OK and then leave it for some months to see if the house recovers, before you do any other work.

You'll never sort it whilst you are drying clothes in the house.

SBR slurry works, ive used it today. It stops water.

But as mentioned, some houses are made with lime which has to breathe. If you have a stone wall. which has lime mortar on in, and you hack it off, and stick plasterboards on it, skim it...it will look fantastic. But down the line it will all go wrong. Stuff made and used in the last 25 years or so, is modern and meant for modern techniques. This is what i know and was taught.

Old houses need to be aprroached differently. And what you might find is a builder or plasterer who cant be arsed to do it properly, and can stop water ingress by slurrying it. If you dont have lime render etc then this could be your answer. Do you have any pictures you could post of you internal and external walls? if they are just brick then that will make things easier.

SBR was used with a tanking system that I used to use when I was a sovereign agent, But I would never rely on it mixed with cement and painted on as a slurry to actually stop water ingress , used with the proper system and following the proper procedures then yes it does work ...

SBR was used with a tanking system that I used to use when I was a sovereign agent, But I would never rely on it mixed with cement and painted on as a slurry to actually stop water ingress , used with the proper system and following the proper procedures then yes it does work ...

Did you use the Heydi Roy??

This is the gear we used rc this video is a bit long winded but it shows the proper system we used and it certainly works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5A9wYYz0g

A great video there Roy. We used Heydi in the 80's in a couple of hangers at RAF Lossiemouth. We installed some poured concrete inspection pits into the hangar floors. The local water table is high, and Heydi was used to tank the pits and the lower floor sumps. Heydi is so good that you can stop a "running" tap with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back