Scaffolding on path and road question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right then I’m about to start an extension on my house and once the foundations are in I need to have scaffolding run along a footpath and slightly on a road. Looking into it I need to inform the council and yet again pay them another fee (for doing bugger all!) but I need liability insurance. Can someone give me some pointers on this? Will the scaffolding company do this or will I need to arrange it and if so who the hell do I see about it????

Sponsored Links
You're a bit impatient gooba! Err why don't you ask the scaffolding company? if you need to do it yourself try one of the 2,100,000 results that appears when you google it!

Freddy that was helpful! I only asked the question on here so some one could give me an idea of how things work in such a situation. Peoples experiences could help me ask the right questions as I have no idea about scaffolding.
As you say there might be 2100000 hits but most seem to be aimed at builders and not the DIY'er. Someone on here my be able to give me some useful information on who to go to or I might be able to get liability insurance from some other source.
I was just after a bit of advice from a forum designed to do such a thing!

Sponsored Links
If a scaffold company is putting the scaffold up, they may have it covered.
Why not try your house hold policy company.

Just spoke to scaffolding company and they said they have liability insurance which covers it :D
Didnt think of the house insurance good idea.
Cheers for help :LOL: :LOL:

freddymercurystwin said:
why don't you ask the scaffolding company?

goooba769 said:
Someone on here my be able to give me some useful information on who to go to
I was just after a bit of advice from a forum designed to do such a thing!

goooba769 said:
Just spoke to scaffolding company and they said they have liability insurance which covers it :D
Didnt think of the house insurance good idea.
Cheers for help :LOL: :LOL:

:eek:

the people working on the scaffolding will require public liability insurance too. the scaffolding company will only be liable for their own workmen and equipment.

you will also need a highways permit. the application for this permit outlines the liability requirements.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Iv downloaded a form off the council site which is for the erection of scaffolding over public highways and on the form it requests a copy of liability insurance. Now I'm assuming the insurance requested is the one the company has so I send them a copy of the scaffolding companies insurance or do I need further liability insurance? God this is a pain :(

Hope that makes sense!

if the scaffold is faulty or if an unsecured pudlock should fall onto a member of the public, then it is wise to assume the scaffold company is liable.

but i'd be damned if i would cough up if some brickie lobbed a brick at the labourer and missed, whilst fooling around on the scaffold. :eek:

do you have a link to the application?

£30 is that all :LOL: and why isn`t it in Welsh too :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back