First time ordering scaffold - what do I need to know/say?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive got to the point where I can no longer build from my scaffold tower so need to get the proper scaffolders in.

I've never ordered scaffolding before, so I would rather look stupid on this forum and find out the stuff I need to know/ask before actually speaking to the scaffold companies... so I can sound like I know what I'm talking about to them!

I don't even know if scaffolders come out to price a job, or whether I just need to tell them what I need and they'll work it out over the phone??

Here's where I'm at/what I need:

I'm currently a third of the way up on the first floor with my blocks, so will need a first stage scaffold to roughly that height (3m) then a second 'lift' when I get up to near roof height in order to finish the walls and do the roof. This is the orange bit on my diagram.

Once that's completed, I'm going to need a scaffold around the whole property in order to re-roof the lot and render the whole house. So I assume I'll need at least 2 levels to that scaffold to allow that work to be done. All marked in blue on the diagram, with a bit in green where bridging over a conservatory is needed.

Any advice welcome on key info I'm missing that scaffolders will need to know. Thanks

Thanks in advance
Andy

IMG_5108.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get them to come and have a look, be upfront about the fact that you’re self building so each lift may be up a while, avoid agreeing to pay per week unless you know you can get it done in a particular timeframe. For mine they charged per lift about 350ish , was a total of 3 lifts I think. They were really sound and liked the fact that I was doing it solo and went easy on me with timescales

Edit: the price I just gave is a bit meaningless as I can tell straight away yours will be more from your diagram, mine was a bit simpler

You'll need three lifts and a table rift for any gables.

Just tell them you are self building and want an all in price for x amount of months not weekly or monthly rates, but estimate how long you will need it.

Independent will be better than putlog, but a little more expensive

Mention if you need a ladder, gin wheel, or bridge units to span over conservatories or suchlike.

Sponsored Links
Isn’t it the pulley thing you can use to pull rope up? I didn’t bother with any of that last time, just don’t let the rope pass through your hands as the bucket drops if you’re not wearing gloves :LOL:

Thanks guys, got some companies coming out on Saturday.

@^woody^ what’s a table rift, or should that be a table lift?

Yeah, lift not rift. I don't know what's gone on there "r" is nowhere near "l" on the keyboard. :cautious:

Small lift to reach the apex of a gable

Isn’t it the pulley thing you can use to pull rope up? I didn’t bother with any of that last time, just don’t let the rope pass through your hands as the bucket drops if you’re not wearing gloves :LOL:

Struggling with a pulling a bucket over toe boards, or handrail? Why?

A pole hanging out over the side brings the bucket up to waist height, and a wheel or two make it so much easier to pull up.

Struggling with a pulling a bucket over toe boards, or handrail? Why?

A pole hanging out over the side brings the bucket up to waist height, and a wheel or two make it so much easier to pull up.

No issues pulling it up, just thought I’d let a tub full of tiles down and use my hand as a brake :whistle:

On my current job I also asked for 20 x 4m boards to throw on the inside floor joists so that I could work from inside. It's made life much easier.

I should have asked for a pulley too, but have been muddling along climbing ladders with buckets of mud.

On my current job I also asked for 20 x 4m boards to throw on the inside floor joists so that I could work from inside. It's made life much easier.

I just bought a load of OSB and laid it down upstairs, not being a skilled bricklayer for the over-arm approach... I've found having the inside platform much easier to work from - and I got my other half to load it all up for me :)

IMG_5058.JPG

Called 5 companies, 4 said they’d come out to quote, 2 turned up, only 1 quote so far :(

£1,950 for everything, 2 lifts on the extension and then a further visit to do the rest of the house, with no time limits.

Does that sound ok?

did you make it clear you want to hire it not buy it.
what’s your house , the bt tower?

Hire it.

Detached 4 bedroom house, 6 x 11m with two floors, with a 6 x 6m extension on the side also two floors.

The £2k is plus vat too I just found out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back