Scaffolding scam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I’ve already got my suspicions….. But hear me out and give me some ideas on how to protect myself…..

In the next few weeks I’m going to want to scaffold half the rear of my house in preparation for me to loft convert. Being a miser, I don’t want to pay for hire, so like I often do, I buy 2nd hand, use, then sell for what I bought it for - free hire in my book.

Can’t be doing with a crappy tower. Need proper scaffold to work off. Hard to find on fleabay and scumtree, but some has come up on scumtree. Exactly what I need. Not too big, perfect height and width.

The photo is of the scaffold in place on a house in Stoke, an hour from me. The chap wants £500 for it. Buyer to dismantle. So, I’m ok with that. Will do me a favour as I have to put it back up and never done it before.

So my predicament is this. What’s to stop some scum bag just taking a photo of some scaffold at an empty house, meeting me there, taking my money, then leaving me to steal the scaffold and possibly get the sh1t kicked out of me by an angry mob of scaffolders? How would you verify this is legit? In an ideal world the homeowner will greet me at the door and all will feel legit. Got a feeling this isn’t going to happen.

Scaffold is hard to come by. That’s why I’m entertaining this. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I guess, request a written invoice with his full details, name, address etc. plus bank account info. Say you cannot pay with cash, bank transfer only. You need to write it off as a cost. Then you'll do the transfer when you come and collect, not before. And then knock on the door before starting - unless the house is empty, somebody is bound to be in.
He he refuses, walk away.

get the address first? then send a letter to the address?
Could be a recorded delivery 1st class, or a short drive.
Make sure they can get into the house?

check electoral roll?

Sponsored Links
Fully understand your concerns Bernard. I do however have a couple of mates who would help me. They used to scaffold many years ago.

It is a fall from grace rather than height I'm currently concerned about.

I’ve dealt with this guy on eBay before, good bloke. Sells lots of scaffolding:

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/exvoguemodel

Same here, got some great acro's from him, believe he has a base near the Midlands as well.

I own my own scaffolding, it's not difficult to erect something safe with a bit of common sense, and I don't quite know how to phrase it without sounding like a complete cowboy, but if it's for "personal" use and not going to carry 4 men and 2 tonnes of building materials it doesn't need to meet the exacting standards of a commercial set-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As a reminder, if you buy stolen goods, the general rule is that you are not the legal owner even if you paid a fair price and didn't know that the goods were stolen.
The person who originally owned it is still the legal owner.
Orginal owner gets it back, and you then have to try and get your money back form someone who has likely scarpered.
SFK

Last edited:
Build the tower, diagonals to stop it racking, tighten it all up and bob’s you uncle. I guess. Plus I’ll be putting some outriggers on and bolting to the wall.

Has to be better than my 2x4 chimney scaffold I built held to the chimney by ratchet straps. I’m still here!

It's quite simple. You only pay after you have dismantled, loaded it and with the engine running.

I would suspect the bigger risk to your health is from it falling down after you have had a go at assembling it

It's quite simple. You only pay after you have dismantled, loaded it and with the engine running.

I would suspect the bigger risk to your health is from it falling down after you have had a go at assembling it
That is how I intend to pay. After locked and loaded.

Tomorrow is d-day. Getting there at 1030, then beaten up by 1100 by the real scaffolders, then arrested and thrown in the nick having lost £500. Or come away smelling of roses with my free scaffold hire. You take your chances….

And ye of little faith. I’m a scaffolding expert now. I’ve watched a YouTube video.

I’ll let you know tomorrow how it goes o_O

upload_2021-11-10_17-51-56.png

Don't forget your can of (say) Lime Green paint to paint your 'new' scaffolding in 'your' Proprietary colours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back