Scaffolding scam?

Sponsored Links
One of the things you need to look for are 'identity marks', such as 'Property of Bob the Builder' stencilled or engraved on every length of tubing and board. Failing that keep ;ooking to see if they have used another method, such as a couple of coloured paint rings, diagonal stripes, coloured ends etc, etc
If you have the slightest suspicion just walk away. Better to lose the cost and time of an hours journey than end up with a criminal record and a loss of £xxx to someone you will never be able to trace.
Just had a thought. If he says he now lives somewhere else ask him to wait a minute while you knock at the neighbours to check that he actually did live there before moving. If he comes up with an excuse such as, "They moved in after I had left so don't know me." Simply say ok, I'll knock on a few more doors until someone confirms you do/did live here.

Person is out at work apparently but their parents will be in all day. At least I can knock and check the story…….

Sponsored Links
I recon by research about £400-500/week. I’m doing this loft conversion myself so would want the scaffold up for months. Many months…… The cost of buying it (along with the risk) is a week of hire. I then get to sell it at the end. Free hire.

I’ve just gone off a Google search. Either way, I save £500 when I sell it. If I don’t get scammed or beaten up trying to buy it or killed when it collapses. I’d take that risk to save a tenner.

When I hired some scaffolding to do some painting on the front of my house the blokes charged me £400 to supply and assemble it. They said to ring when I'd finished but specified a date (about 3 weeks later) after which I would have to pay a renewal fee on a weekly basis.

When I hired some scaffolding to do some painting on the front of my house the blokes charged me £400 to supply and assemble it. They said to ring when I'd finished but specified a date (about 3 weeks later) after which I would have to pay a renewal fee on a weekly basis.
That seems like something I’d expect. 3 weeks is a drop in the ocean for how long I’ll need

That was the same sort of deal I had , although about 20years ago now - Normal price / various quotes was around the £600 for a small piece across the back of the house , assembled , over a leanto, so an awkward bit to do. i needed to replace the cast iron gutter, and paint , but as he was recommended by a mutual friend he did it for £350 cash, and it stayed up for 5 weeks. He did also call to say he needed to take down, as i had it longer than usual.

Sounds like you have a good deal if true - good luck today.

All well and good, but I wouldn't like to be working on scaffolding erected by diyers.
Around me 4 weeks is the time when they start calling you to get their scaffolding back.
Sometimes if they're not busy you have to chase them to dismantle it.

The cost of scaffolding and traffic control for the re-thatch of my roof was about £1200

upload_2021-11-11_9-18-0.png

There was a similar amount of scaffolding at the back of the cottage.

DIY scaffolding is possible and if there is absolutely no risk of damage or injury to neighbours and/or their property ( includes your visitors ) then liability insurance would not be essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back