Scaffolding responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were to hire a scaffold firm to erect scaffolding for me to work on roof who would be liable for any damage caused by the scaffold, ie erection, dismantling, or collapse, me or the scaffold company?

Sponsored Links
If I were to hire a scaffold firm to erect scaffolding for me to work on roof who would be liable for any damage caused by the scaffold, ie erection, dismantling, or collapse, me or the scaffold company?
Good question.
The answer depends on their disclaimer and liability I guess.

If something happens with the scaffolding that influences its demise and that influence is outside of the scaffolders control, then it will not be a scaffolding problem.

Our scaffolders insist they will replace any broken tiles etc as they strike the scaffold as long as we make the spare tiles available. However I have yet to see this happen! We always end up doing any repairs.

In general, any professional is expected to show professional diligence, notwithstanding the small print.

On the other hand, liability is a minefield of complex legalities - even a heads up should come from a lawyer.

Sponsored Links
Presumably this is the property owner contracting you to do some work, and you subcontracting the scaffolding ?

As far as the property owner is concerned, you are liable as you are the one they have contracted for the work. The fact that you have subcontracted some of the work out is of no relevance to them.

After that, division of risk/liability is largely a matter of contract. You might reasonably expect them to take the risk (and liability) for that part of the work - but make sure it's decided in advance and put in writing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back