Scantronic 500r Wireless System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. How do you change a battery in a PIR? Can it be done without reprogramming?

2. How do you open an outside bell box to change the battery, without setting off the Tamper?

Regards

Sponsored Links
1. Flip up the little flap in the middle at the top, slacken the screw until it is wobbly (you don't need to take it out), flip the flap down again and, with a small screwdriver, prise up the catch on the top. You can then swing the top of the detector away from the back and lift it out.

It will generate a tamper (unless the battery is flat, flat, flat or you have the panel in installer mode). Enter your code to shut it up. Older PIRs use two AA, MN1500 batteries whilst the new ones use a single AA-sized 3.6V lithium battery LS14500. Scantronic recommend that you take the old batteries out and wait at least 5 minutes before putting the new ones in.

Replace the batteries and put it all back, then reset the panel.

(There is a very old larger curvy PIR which is different.)

2. The bell on a 500r is wired. The battery will not need changing very often. It is unlikely that you can open it without getting a tamper. Some bells have some kind of engineer's holdoff but you'd need to know if yours had this, if it had been connected and what to do. (Sorry, not much help there ;) )

It will generate a tamper (unless the battery is flat, flat, flat or you have the panel in installer mode). Enter your code to shut it up. Older PIRs use two AA, MN1500 batteries whilst the new ones use a single AA-sized 3.6V lithium battery LS14500. Scantronic recommend that you take the old batteries out and wait at least 5 minutes before putting the new ones in.

Replace the batteries and put it all back, then reset the panel.

Thanks for the reply. So it doesn't need pairing/re-programming then, is a volatile memory involved?

2. The bell on a 500r is wired. The battery will not need changing very often. It is unlikely that you can open it without getting a tamper. Some bells have some kind of engineer's holdoff but you'd need to know if yours had this, if it had been connected and what to do. (Sorry, not much help there ;) )

This bell had a red and a green LED flashing in flip flop fashion, this was the reason for opening the box in the first place, since it was a suspected fault, then it changed to green only after closing the lid back. With no manual, I don't know how it is supposed to operate in a healthy condition.

Regards

1. No programming required. The PIR contains a unique code and it has already been taught to the 500r panel.

2. I can't help you with the bell...

Sponsored Links
1. No programming required. I can't help you with the bell...
Thanks for the other info. This is the bell box, there are 2 large screws with plastic caps on the sides near the bottom, I want to identify the battery but as soon as I loosen a screw the alarm goes off, any guesses?

Regards

I don't know but it will almost certainly be a stack of Ni-Cd or Ni-mh cells.

Open the bell, ignore the noise, find the tamper switch and put your finger on it. The noise should stop. Then you can hunt for the battery, see what sort it is and whether it is easy to replace (soldered in :( or fly-leads into screw terminals :D ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back