Scantronic 9100 Strobe and Bell connection query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bell and strobe on my, rather old, Scantronic 9100 failed some time ago and I have finally got around to investigating. On removing the bell box cover, I discovered that some of the cable connections have corroded and become disconnected.

The external bell box does not contain any module or board and the cable cores were simply twisted and taped (but not too well).

I believe I have worked out which wires should be re-connected, but am confused as to how the strobe is wired to the panel board.

The panel connections 'OV(-VE)' and 'Tamper Return' are actually still both connected to the tamper trigger switch in the bell box cover.

I assume that panel connections '+VE' and '-Ringing' should be connected to the external siren red and black wires respectively.

Where I am confused, is re the strobe wires and where these should be connected.

The installer originally used an 8 core cable drop to the panel, which was connected to a chop block. From the chop block a 6 core runs to an internal PIR and another 6 core (but with two cables cut/not connected to the block) runs to the bell box. I assume, as only 4 cores run to the bell box and 2 of these are connected to the tamper switch, the '+VE' and '-Ringing' panel connections should be wired directly to the strobe cables as well as to the siren cables.

As I currenly have floors etc. up (non related works), is it worth running a new 6 core cable direct from the panel to the bell box which would be resonably straightforward?

If yes, I assume that the strobe should be connected per the wiring diag, which is one core to 'Strobe NO' and the other core to 'AUX -' plus a link core from '+12V' to 'Strobe C'

It would be much appreciated if this could be confirmed or corrected as appropriate.

Currently, there are no spare zones on the panel, but I could do with adding a 2nd PIR on my landing to give improved coverage (following extension building works). Is there a problem with adding a 2nd wired PIR to an existing zone? I appreciate that in the event of an alarm trip, I would not know which of the two PIR's triggered it, but as both would be in the same vicinity, I'm not bothered by that.

To give the best overall coverage (L shaped landing) the PIR's would be in sight of each other. Is this a no, no, or no problem?

Any advice re this would also be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
HI if you have got floors up i would run a new bell cable if its allready chock blocked with other things, the strobe output on the 9100 is a relay so yes the connection are correct one side to 12v+ and the other to 0v via the relay or visa versa.

Have a search on ebay for the Scantronic plug-on below, you never know your luck.

This will 'plug-on' and give you another 4 circuits to play with, one for your new PIR and three spare should they be needed.

Scantronic Part No 9124 > 4 Circuit Expansion PCB

Try different combinations of the above 'till you find one.

PS > there had to be one - QUICK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...ntronic&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thank you for the help and information. Very much appreciated.

Re the Strobe connections, if I wire directly to the panel ('Aux-' & 'Strobe No') as shown on the wiring diagramme, do I need to add the single core link from '12V+' to 'Strobe C' also as shown on the diagramme?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back