scantronic 9448 fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The alarm sounded and gave a tamper fault,reset and internal sounder stopped,but the external one will not shut off.Have reset numerous times,powered off removed mains and battery from unit,powered back up reset again still external is going off.After it stopped sounding i linked out 0v and TRN in the panel.It now seems to function ok,12v battery was replaced a few months ago,and is holding over 13v when tested out of the unit.Im thinking a battery fault in the bell box or a short etc due to water ingress,is there a way to check without getting ladders up.
Have tested with the link in and external box does not sound,only the internal panel sounds,is this correct ?.ie does the 0v and RTN need to be wired in for the external bell to trigger ?.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it's the bellbox at fault. You need a new one.

...or it could be a break in the 0v line. This would cause the bell tamper as well as letting the bell sound. Connecting the TRN to 0v in the panel will, obviously, stop the bell tamper. If you've left the wires in, it could also send the 0v up the tamper return wire, through the bell's tamper switch and onto the bell's 0v. The bell could then sound normally (I did write could...).

You might like to check the cable run, especially if it goes through the loft, and look for signs of "little furry friends" having a mid-winter feast on your cables! :eek: Personally, I'd rather get the ladders out!! :D

I just had a thought... Leave the tamper return connection in and the 0v out. Then check the voltage between the 0v wire and +12 and TRTN. If it's floating, the wire could have been chewed (or the bell's busticated...)[/i]

Sponsored Links
Both approx 8-10 years old,been to CEF got a new panel and bell box.Fitted the new panel as I have had to reset the NVM a few tinmes on the Scantronic,by the time Id drilled new holes mounted and rewired the panel it was starting to go dark,so I wired in the old bell box,shows tamper light and will not sound when the internal box does.Ive tried the new bell box with a couple of short lengths of wire and all is well.Thanks to all that answered.

Bought a Texecom Veritas 8,as it was the only one they had in,are they OK ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back