Scantronic 9853 alarms on entry - sometimes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We inherited a Scantronic 9853 setup in our new place. I ran a bell test and walk tests and have managed to change codes and so on, and basically it seems to work fine. But, it has set off its alarm on entry a couple of times. We definitely keyed in the correct code, but it didn't disarm. Any ideas what might be going on?

My only thoughts are - the entry is detected by a PIR rather than a switch, and it may be that on the occasions we made the alarm go off, that the entry tone wasn't sounding - we'd dodged the PIR. Can't be sure, but I could be convinced? If the entry tone isn't sounding, will a user code entry trigger the alarm to sound on this unit?

Alternatively, I suspect the battery is a few years old, and due for replacement. I haven't got around to that particular job yet, but if the battery was low/dead, could that have some effect on operation?

All thoughts from the experts out there most welcome!

Cheers
Graeme

Sponsored Links
I did wonder, and the original code used a couple of repeated digits - so they got used a lot. Hence I tried programming a different code using different digits. Unfortunately the same result today when my wife tried to disarm the alarm.

She has since told me she thought it said "Unset?" on the display when she had keyed in the code. And also that the PIR hadn't sensed her. So, was it expecting us to press the "tick" button to actually action the unset? Again, I wonder if a PIR or door contact detects you, just entering the code does the unsetting. But if you don't trigger anything, you maybe have to enter the code and press "tick". No idea why, but maybe there is some sense in this. The manual of course says nothing about unsetting with no trigger!

If it’s an EN version it will probably say unset ? After code entry if you have not started the entry timer ...is the entry exit zone a door contact or a pir ....? If it’s a door contact ....is it sticking closed ?

Sponsored Links
The entry/exit is just a PIR - no door contact. And I just checked, and it is the EN version.

Does that mean we just have to confirm, if we haven't triggered the entry timer?

Perfect!! Many thanks for explaining what's happening. At least now I know it's behaving as it should - and we just need to react accordingly!!

All the best
Graeme

I don't think there's anything wrong with the entry detector - it's just possible where it is sited to enter the lobby and key the code in without it detecting you. I think the real answer would be to add a door contact, and then the problem should disappear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back