Scantronic alarm - how to disable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When I bought my house 3 years ago it had a Scantronic 9452 alarm installed which I never used. There was a period when it would go off on it's own so I unscrewed the control box cover and took out the battery. It has since not given me any problems except when the power is cut which sets off the external alarm. I'm having an extension built which means at some point I'll need the power turned off so my questions are:

1) How can I disable the alarm? Do I need to pay someone to do it or can I do it myself (I know zilch about alarms!)?

2) I'm considering using an alarm in the future. The sensors in 4 rooms are already installed so would it be possible to just have a new control box installed? If so would I have to buy another Scantronic?

3) Can someone recommend a decent compatible alarm for a 3 bed semi, preferably sub £200?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you replace the battery ,you should then be able to use the alarm without the external siren triggering when the power is cut,that is what its there for.
As long as you are not adding any more detectors , carry on using the 9542.If you plan additional detectors , upgrade to a 9651 or a Texecom Veritas.

Thanks Denford.
I have a feeling I may have "knackered" the alarm when I ripped the battery out so I think it'll have to be replaced. I will have a look at the 9651, any ideas how much it costs?

In the mean time do you know any way I can disable the current alarm so it doesn't go off when the mains are turned off?

Thanks!

You have to disconnect the Ni Cad in the outside siren unit. Or if you prefer disconnect it at the panel and just let it wail until the cut-off cuts in (15 - 18 mins).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back