Scotch Steak Houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to the Smoke this weekend.

Took the kids to various attractions, and ended up near Victoria, looking for somewhere to eat yesterday evening. It was very busy.

The fussy eater (middle child) said he wanted F&C, so we went to the nearest joint providing the same.

It was a SSH. Looks exactly like an Aberdeen Angus Steak House, which is not surprising, as it was started by the geezer that started AASH.

Looked firmly stuck in the 60/70's, with acres of red velvet covering most things except the floor, which was a VERY worn muddy brown carpet. I could not decide if the carpet was that colour anyway, or just the result of never having been cleaned.

The waiter sat us down & then peed off for about 20 minutes...

We chose from the menu (as long as it was beast 'n' chips, that was OK) and in due course it arrived. Exceedingly well done.

The fish batter was like concrete, but the colour of an overdone David Dickenson.

Afterwards, I took 2 of the kids to the toilet.

Downstairs, into the bowels of the place. You had to go right to the front (under the pavement, in fact) to get to the toilet, which entailed bending almost to 90 degrees to get under a steel girder between the main cellar & the toilet cubicle.

Once there (I think a combination of bending double & my youngest's fragrant efforts), I promptly un-eat my food & we left, having paid £55 for the meal.

It ranks as one of the worst meals I've ever had. And to be honest, I never thought I'd say that of a meal consumed in this country, let alone in this century...

Can anyone beat that awful experience?

Sponsored Links
TBH, the kids seemed to eat their food & Mrs Secure too, but it wasn't very enjoyable from my POV. Still, I don't suppose I can entirely blame the restaurant for throwing up, can I?? ;)

Sponsored Links
Can anyone beat that awful experience?

Try anything at Eurodisney. I dare you! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Apart from the Eurodisney Big Mac, which contained two undercooked, wafer-thin excuses for burgers, the worst meal we ever had was in a Scottish pub! (I won't name the pub but it's in Gatehouse of Fleet.)

We'd been to this place before but it was now "under new management". It wasn't dirty. The service wasn't slow. The food was good - what there was of it. There lay the problem!

Our daughter plumped for "scampi tails in batter". They were what they said; tiny scraps of fish buried in balls of batter - all ten of them! :eek: Our son went for the "Scottish Fillet Steak". It was marginally bigger than a Eurodisney burger - one burger only! :eek: :eek: I chose some kind of curried chicken with rice and pineapple. It came in three separate containers which, when tipped onto the plate, produced a fair imitation of a Weightwatchers extreme diet meal. :eek: :eek: :eek:

For the pudding I requested cream instead of ice cream on the fudge cake. "Certainly sir, no problem." The problem was finding the cream in the bottom of the tiny jug! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

For this pathetic offering we paid nearly £100. Never again. Twynholm is only a few miles down the road and the pub there sells steak and ale pie with half a pound of Galloway steak in each slice. Yum yum! :D :D :D

My neighbour wont pay full price for a meal if he wasn't fully satisfied. For your meal Simon he would have probably paid no more than half.

Somewhere along the line, you only have to pay for what you feel the meal is worth,

I'll stop there, as softus will come along about it being taxed ;)

Libby Lou Lo wrote:
Somewhere along the line, you only have to pay for what you feel the meal is worth
Not strictly true LLL the price of the meal is as stated and not negotiable ... You agree to the price when you place the order, this is the contract of sale.

If the food is not up to an acceptable standard however you have the right to say so and, hopefully, agree a satisfactory outcome.

I was in a restaurant in London many years ago where a customer refused to pay and attempted to leave the restaurant. The waiter made a citizen's arrest and called the police who promptly arrested the guy and stuffed him into the back of the paddy wagon :LOL:

Thermo may like to comment on the rights and wrongs of this being ex-dibble but this actually happened ... Everyone in the restaurant applauded as they marched him out ;)

This just highlights the fact that there is no substitute for effective communication :LOL:

I always think this is the reason you pay AFTER you've eaten - so you can choose whether the meal was satisfactory. If they make you pay before eating it'll probably be 5h1t (to prevent walkouts!!!)

There's no difference between walking out of a restaurant without paying and shoplifting ... Different if you communicate your displeasure to the establishment and they agree a discount or waive the cost entirely though.

If they make you pay before eating it'll probably be s**t (to prevent walkouts!!!)
Is this why fast food restaurants expect payment up front Steve :LOL:

MW

that could be an americanism, like paying for petrol before filling up

Sponsored Links
Back