Scotland - signing off my own work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am qualified in the wiring regs (City and Guilds 2381) to inspect and test my own work (did the course in England and learned a lot about part P but nothing about the Scottish system).

I have done some new electrical work - new CU and kitchen wiring, the CU only controls the new circuits - old fuseboard exists for existing circuits.

All the (new) work is to reg and i have fully inspected and tested it myself.

I have a building warrant for the work.

I am not registered with the NICEIC or SELECT

Anyway my question is do i need someone else (a verifier?) to check the work? Will this happen when I apply for the building warrant completion certificate? Will it cost extra?

I keep hearing that the only people who can sign off work (in Scotland) have to be NICEIC or SELECT, is this true or can i get building control (or someone else) to do it for a reasonable fee?

If anyone experience of the Scottish system can shed some light on this i would be much obliged. I'm in the Glasgow City Council area if that makes any difference. I thought i'd try asking here before calling building control as i tend to find calling Glasgow City Council on any matter is fraught with difficulty.

Sponsored Links
Sh1t! :cry:

Thanks very much for the BSP4 info Baldy. Don't suppose you're in Glasgow anytime soon and fancy making £50 (or quote me?) for signing off a very high quality installation!?

Or any Glasgow NIC/SELECT guys out there, what would you charge for this? I've got my 2381 certificate, i've even done the 2391 practical, just not sat the exam yet.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, looking at the aims in the Electrical Guidance for Verifiers it says:

3. Local Authorities, as both verifiers and enforcers, must have processes in place to address and deal with any and all types of installations carried out by both approved certifiers and non-certified installers. Such processes may include a site inspection regime to carry out “reasonable enquiry” in respect of any work not covered by a certificate issued by an Approved Certifier of Construction.

Gotta say, the warrant system in Scotland seems pretty stupid to me. Living in a flat? (like most of Glasgow), want an extra socket, extra light? want to move a socket? That'll be the best part of £500 for an architect to do drawings of the entire flat and £100 for the warrant application sir, plus the cost of the work of course. And the new system is meant to ensure less dodgy work is carried out???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back