Scottish roofing practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to re-slate my sarked roof and I’m unsure on how the sites should be nailed…

The slates are 18x10 Welsh and are double holed however should all courses be double nailed or should there be single head nailed courses as well?

The house is not in an area particularly prone to high winds

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I always thought that say every 3rd course should be single head nailed to make easy access in the case of a broken slate etc

No problem with doing that! but the other side of that is it only has one nail! If its a new roof why should you be concerned with them falling off or needing replacing?

Sponsored Links
Its not difficult to replace a slate. As above nail in each hole that's what they are for.

of course you are about to reslate, take a look how it was done originally

They are currently Scotch Slates on the roof so they are obviously single head nailed, however I am replacing them with Welsh slates

Can I ask, are you lads based in England or Scotland? And are you talking about slating onto batons or sarking? As I know that it’s common practice in Scotland to have some courses single nailed, im just not sure how often

Side nail them all.
Scotch slates had a head nail as the shoulders were cut from the slate to make it easier to turn them to do repairs.

England or Scotland? And are you talking about slating onto batons or sarking? As I know that it’s common practice in Scotland to have some courses single nailed,
I'm in England , the isle of wight near by , so as far south as you can go .
However , I am aware of difference between sarking and battens.
We have done both , UK and in France. And three times into Arran . We would nail twice where possible .
I believe Alistair is up there somewhere . So Likley to know common practices in Scotland .
I wouldn't nail once in a slate .. my preference , and I'm not afraid of replacing a twice nailed slate

Normal procedure with head nailing would be every 2nd or 3rd course stitch nailed at the shoulder depending on exposure...Done plenty of work in Arran Data.

We had good times there .
Good job jewsons are near the ferry main land side . Had to call on them a couple of times . Can't always get what you need on the island .. eh almost never

Ok thanks guys, the decision seems to made and that’s why I asked the question, out of interest though, how would you replace a broken slate if all slates are double nailed?

Aye I get that for removing the slates but just can’t picture how you’d install the replacement slate when all slates above are double nailed, , sorry not trying to be awkward just curious

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back