"Scraping" UPVC door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My (relatively new-build) flat has a balcony with a UPVC door. Ever since we bought it, the door scrapes/grinds against a metal plate at the bottom of the door frame (see pictures below - you can see the scratches on the metal plate) when you open it. It generally means that you have to give the door a good shove to get it open, accompanied by the sound of grinding. It is particularly bad when it's sunny (balcony is south-facing), which I imagine is down to the door and/or the metal plate expanding with the heat.

A couple of years ago I found online how to adjust the height of UPVC doors by turning some hidden screws inside the hinges. I did this and raised the door just enough so that it didn't scrape anymore, even in the summer. All was fine but then the problem started showing up again and now it's actually the worst it's been. The screws in the hinges are at their max so can't adjust them any further.

It does not appear that the hinges have moved (see picture) and the door is perfectly horizontal (measured using a level).

Any recommendations on what else I can do to fix this, or is it better that I call an expert to get it fixed?

Thanks

IMG_7566.jpg
IMG_7568.jpg
IMG_7569.jpg

Sponsored Links
Assuming the door is raised to its max and it isn't dropping or anything, you'll need to turn your attention to the piece of trim it's rubbing on. Depending on how it's secured underneath, it might be possible to lower it slightly thus resolving the issue.

Thanks! Sorry for the delayed reply. Went on Easter break and forgot to check this. I've thought about the trim bit but seems pretty solid. I suspect there is a beam or something underneath because it doesn't budge of flex when you put pressure on it. There is no obvious way to tell how it's secured other than by some sealant/silicone on either end

Thanks! Sorry for the delayed reply. Went on Easter break and forgot to check this. I've thought about the trim bit but seems pretty solid. I suspect there is a beam or something underneath because it doesn't budge of flex when you put pressure on it. There is no obvious way to tell how it's secured other than by some sealant/silicone on either end
If you're satisfied the door is adjusted upwards as far as the hinges allow, the only real part you can tackle is the trim. I don't think the door requires any toe & heel adjustment (if unsure what that is, Google is your friend :)) as it appears to be scraping along the entire bottom edge. However I'm not an expert! Neither would I suggest you start yanking at the trim if you're at all unsure as you might cause damage.

If it was me, if the trim ain't budging, I'd try to lift the section of decking immediately in front of the trim. That should enable you to see the underside of the trim and how it's secured. Again though, if you're unsure how to tackle this, probably best leaving it all alone.

You might be forced to call a professional in tbh. In the interim, if the scraping is annoying you, a small amount of grease along that section will mitigate to an extent.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! I think will probably need to call an expert as I'm not adventurous enough to try to remove the trim - or rather I am but the wife would be quite angry if I ended up making everything worse!

What I still find odd is that it was fine when I raised it, but then the problem came back out of nowhere without any signs of the hinges "sliding" or bending or anything...

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

If it was me, I'd try laying a piece of 4x2 on that cill and give it a bloody good whack with a heavy hammer!

Has the rear of the cill dropped into the cavity, pushing the front of the cill higher? I am asking as it happened to me.

Andy

Has the rear of the cill dropped into the cavity, pushing the front of the cill higher? I am asking as it happened to me.

Andy

Not that I can tell. The sealant/silicone on both ends seems intact and with no signs of stretching or tearing.

What I'm wondering is if maybe that piece of metal trim was left too tight, which meant that when it got hot (and it gets VERY hot in the summer) the thing has nowhere to expand and just warped itself. Odd thing though is that the problem resurfaced after the 20/21 winter, which was unusually cold...

May have to try Mottie's suggestion - just have to make sure that the neighbours downstairs are not at home ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back