scratch marks on a painted wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The people who lived in my house before me had a dog which has scratched areas of the walls in the kitchen. The walls were painted in matt emulsion and I have since re-painted. The scratch marks only appear to be surface scratches and when I re-painted they disappeared, however they have now reappeared through the new paint and show as a dirty brown mark. On closer inspection you can still see the scratches. What can I use to make them disappear completely?. I have tried rubbing the wall down with sandpaper but it doesn't seem to make any difference. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
The scrathes have probably making it smoother underneath,causing he areas to stand out.
I cant see how they are brown marks though..unless the dog had bitumen claws!

Try giving it a light coat of oil based undercoat then give it another light sanding, and face fill the whole area with fine surface filler, dont over do it though because it can be a pig to rub down.

Paint over the area again...twice, on the second coat gently rub a damp sponge around the edges of the wet paint, it will help blend it in to the older stuff.

Ooooo I like that bit about a damp sponge to blend it in. I'll have to try that. I'll bet I make a right mess of it though. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa for your advice. My brother-in-law suggested fine filler when I asked him but I think I'll also have a go with the paint. I don't know why the scratches are coming through brown but they are!!. Hopefully what you've suggested will work. :eek:

michaela said:
Thanks Zampa for your advice. My brother-in-law suggested fine filler when I asked him but I think I'll also have a go with the paint. I don't know why the scratches are coming through brown but they are!!. Hopefully what you've suggested will work. :eek:

Michaela.....an idea..do you have an old house?....maybe just maybe the walls have bene coated with bitumen for some reason in the past...maybe damp?

If they still bleed though the oil undercoat then use PVA on them that normally holds bitumen back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back