Scratched dark limestone floor tile - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have dark grey limestone floor tiles in my kitchen and I have managed to scratch one - about 5 cm long. The scratch shows up white and my eye is drawn to it reminding me what a muppet I was not to protect the floor when I moved the fridge :confused:

Can this be disguised in some way? I was thinking maybe shoe polish, but any experts out there have a better idea?

I guess over time the scratch might fade or get filled in with dirt, but until then....

Thanks

SB

Sponsored Links
Hi Prentice - i didn't realise you hung out on all the forums! ;)

They are a dark grey colour - lovely tiles (from the previous owner not me) you can even see little fossils in them if you look closely!

I think they have been sealed, so could I reseal on top after giving a good clean?

Hi Prentice - i didn't realise you hung out on all the forums! ;)
Oh I get about a bit.
I have quite a few trades under my belt.
Some picked up along the way others I have taking recognised training with accredited trainers.
Electrical 2330 2&3, 2382, 2391 as well CITO inspect and test of motor-homes and caravans
NVQ in plastering
Was brought up since I was nine year old in the building trade doing dry-lining systems and tape jointing by my dad.
Have Level 2 C&G in plumbing.
Worked in the production of concrete and manufacture of artificial stone, have a lot of experience in that. But not really a forum on here dedicated to that trade.
So that's why I flutter about a bit, either trying to help or being helped.

I do have a City and Guilds in tiling, the absolute best method would be to replace the tile if you have any left over from the original batch. If not if will be extremely hard to find a tile that will match, even if you purchased same tile from same outlet. As the batch will vary after about every two months of production.
So the next best thing that I would do is find something that can be rubbed in that gives you the tone of the tile, if they are grey might be worth messing about with some grey grout or even a mixture of white and grey. I would sample this first by mixing a little and seeing how it dries. If the tiles have been sealed and the scratch been made after the seal, seal will have been broken. It will never look bang on but should masks the mark made.
If you have a boot polish that is of the same tone, it's worth a try. But it must be sealed once you are happy with the result.
If not happy with result you can always remove it. grout will be a little harder to remove though, so sample colours would be advised.

Sponsored Links
Blimey - how did you pack it all in? Great that you have such a wide range of knowledge. I knew nothing about building construction when I first started out, but having worked in so many Victorian homes I could probably build one (well, maybe not...)

No spare tiles and no idea where they came from so, I think a bit of trial and error with the polish/grout is called for.

many thanks!

All good wishes for 2012 - see you back over on the sparks forum I'm sure

SB

Blimey - how did you pack it all in? Great that you have such a wide range of knowledge.
SB
I don't know how it all got packed in! Spent a lot of time as a youth on building sites, always keen to lend a hand, so got dragged in to a lot of trades along the way. I am one of those people that will have a go at most things and if I do something I like, I want to know more and learn how it is done correctly.
Very much trial and error with the matching of colour/tone, good look with it and a Happy New Year to you to.
Prentice

I've used an approprietly coloured nail varnish before, doesn't need sealing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back