Scratches on double glaze glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is it possible to remove scratches on double glazing glass?

just noticed a few hairline scratches on the glass pane in my french doors and want to remove them if possible.

thanks

Sponsored Links
jewellers rouge can get rid of very very fine scratches.

Anything you can snag your nail on....very very difficult. Basically you have to sand down the glass until the the scratch has gone, then you have to remove all the scratches you've put in. You would need a glass sander to do it - Mirka do a kit, it's £500

Thanks Notch7.

It sounds like it might be cheaper to replace the glass or just learn to live with it.

Yes it's possible using cerium oxide to take out small scratches but it takes a long time.

I've also used one of those kits that come with different levels of abrasive pad to take out deeper scratches. Again these work but take quite a bit of time and need careful blending so so don't end up with distortion when you look through the window.

Sponsored Links
Slightly OT, a few years back the high rise where mum lives was being refurbed, new cladding, double glazing etc. When doing their tidy-up, the 'professional' tradespeople were apparently using a variety of tools to clean the outside of the (brand new) double glazing. Some residents are sure they saw them using things like the metal scourers used to clean pots and pans! End result? More than a few little scratches here there and everywhere over the glass.

Muppets!!!

Thanks M0t.

The glass pane is of a newly installed french doors. I had plasterer since so hard to tell if the glass had scratches when they were fitted or the plasterer did it by accident. I will just have to live with it I guess.

Thanks M0t.

The glass pane is of a newly installed french doors. I had plasterer since so hard to tell if the glass had scratches when they were fitted or the plasterer did it by accident. I will just have to live with it I guess.

I had the same thing, a plasterer scratched my french doors when plastering.

I was able to use the cerium oxide powder and a felt pad attachment for my drill to get it off. It took about an hour and a half.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back