screeching noise on vaillant when hot taps are switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi got a vaillant turbomax plus 828E about 5yo. Had a plumber fit a lovely shower about 10 days ago during which time we also found a small leak on the stopcock tap which he also fixed and put a washer on a drippy tap on the bathroom sink, and all great! about 2 days later one of three things started to happen when turning on a hot tap - either there would be a high pitched screeching noise or only half the pressure coming out of the tap or it would occasionally be fine. I called the plumber who was tied up on a job for a few days but said he would call back. In the meantime the boiler cut out one morning and when I checked it was due to low pressure. i topped up via the filling tap (incidentally the screeching happens when you fill the boiler). Checked it again the next day and still losing some pressure. Hot tap problem still happening on and off. Plumber called back and typical - the taps were fine, no noise nothing - i felt a right fool. he said as he couldnt hear/see what was happening it was hard to say what problem was. Forgive my ignorance but i wasnt sure if bathroom plumbers and central heating/boiler plumbers do the same stuff or if they are two different specialties. He checked the pressure, boiler, stopcock etc and all seemed fine, and said to call him again if it happened. Later the next day, the taps were at it again! also the pressure was still being lost. I tried the plumber again and unfortunately hes out of town on a job for a few days. I looked at some forums today and they said to test the prv if it was leaking and it was - about 10ml lost in 1 hour of heating. a couple said to try the prv valve tap a few times as it could just be slugde on seal and if no joy it would need replacing. i figured i had nothing to lose and resigned myself to replacing it anyway and tried it. Have had the heating on for an hour on two separate occasions since and touch wood so far - no further loss in pressure.fingers crossed. Can anyone suggest what might be causing the screeching sound? I've also switched the boiler off altogether and run the hot taps and it still makes a noise. sorry this is so long winded but i thought i'd try to give as much info as possible up front.Hope someone can help or put me in the right direction.
Thanks Tina

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back