screeching boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just replaced the diaphragm in my alpha cb28 boiler as i had no hot water.
The hot water is now working fine but when ever i turn the hot tap off the boiler screeches and whistles, the only way to stop this is to turn the boiler of at the electric and back on again.

Boiler pressure is fine and the diaphragm was fitted by my uncle who is a engineer.....any ideas what this might be as it says nothing in the manual about screechy whictly noises.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks.

Sponsored Links
can you listen and hear where the screech is comign from? could be air trapped possibly when the diaphragm was replaced

Hi,

It seems to be coming from the new part......forgot to mention it only does it when the heating is on as well......just ran a bath and the heating is off and the where no noises.....

Thanks.

sounds like it could be coming from the diverter valve - when it moves inside and changing ports

Sponsored Links
is the diverter valve another name for the diaphragm ?? im a bit clueless ha ha......if it isnt is it something that will need replacing/repairing straight away....and is it going to cost me a small fortune ?

Thanks

the diaphragm is a part in the diverter valve that allows hot water to fire the boiler up eg when a hot tap is opened. i'm not saying it is this for sure. can you open the hot tap etc and when the noise begins single out where it's comign from?

i can open the hot tap and get constant hot water but when i close the hot tap thats when the screeching starts and the only way to stop it is to turn the boiler off.....the noise is coming from the area of the new diaphragm. All the radiators are hot.
Do you think it may be a case of trapped air as you said and will rectify itself after a while ?

I was thinking the bolier was protesting to the new diaphragm as the old one was destroyed ha ha.

Thank you for you advice by the way :)

could be air trapped - might need slackening to remove but get ypour uncle back to take a look

Thanks for your help.....i feel a bit calmer now ha ha

He said he will come back in a week to give it the once over anyway :)

I've never nown for air to be trapped on a diaphragm swap :confused:
never heard this one before

More likely the pump. Did Uncle top up the pressure afterwards?

Had to call uncle back anyway......water decided it preferred to be on my floor than in the boiler !!

A pipe that we didnt have to unscrew ( the only one ) to get access to the diaphragm had worked its way loose and needed a new o ring......and to answer previous questions....yes the pressure was topped up straight away and the screeching stopped after a few hours, was just a bit unsure about it.....this boiler is starting to give me nightmares though.....

Thanks for all the advice though everyone......appreciate it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back