Screeching pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pump makes a screeching noise sometimes. I turn the bleed screw on the pump and let some steam and hot water come out. The noise immediately reduces and then stops.

What is causing the noise and how can I get rid of it?
I love peace and quiet, so any help would be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Chris.
The pump is only about 4 or 5 years old. Is there any way to check if it's OK or needs replacing?

I phoned the IPHE technical helpline this afternoon and the man said that air is getting into my (vented) central heating system, probably from the header tank. When the air gets into the pump it makes the screeching noise. Do you think that's right?

Sponsored Links
One way to test for air ingression is to put a balloon over the open vent pipe and see if suction occurs when pump runs.

This will give you a giggle when you return a few days later to find the balloon has burst and the homeowner has shoved 'a ribbed deluxe' in the same place.

Unused I hasten to add.

David

Not sure. Randy mandy made me try one, as I had 'indegestion'

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back