Screed drying time (50mm)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We having 50mm of screed put down in a new extension and we want to have wooden flooring fitted.

The chippy has said the screed has to be totally dry or it will ruin the wood flooring (15mm solid parawood)

How long should 50mm of screed take to dry? and is there any way to help the drying along?

Many thanks

-Tom

Sponsored Links
1 day for every 1mm of screed under normal drying conditions.

Trying to accelerate the curing process can cause cracking.

1 day for every 1mm of screed under normal drying conditions.

Trying to accelerate the curing process can cause cracking.

Yes, and teh slower it dries, the better it cures - hence why in warm weather it's covered up with poly/ soaked with sbr solution etc

we did one a few years bk for a firm and they insisted we used a rapid setting cement i think it was made by ardex it only took 40 mins from mixing to dry but obviously there was still residual moisture for a while but i dnt think it took as long as normal screed.
has it been screeded already?

Sponsored Links
Thanks All,

the screed is already down unfortunately.

We really wanted to get our flooring installed before the 20th of may.

I guess we'll have to just keep the house nice and warm and take a punt>?

Put the flooring down if you can afford to do it twice, if not, just wait and do it properly and once.

Definitely can not afford to do it twice.

Is there away of testing it?

Its my sons 1st birthday on the 28th and we're having a party really wanted it finished by then :(

if you desperatly want a floor and cannot go with out one for the party but dnt wanna pay to have the nice proper wooden floor laid twice, why dnt you go and buy a cheap laminate floor and just lay it temperarily, itll be cheaper than risking the good floor being laid twice, and this way you get some sort ot finished floor for the party.
from what i remember my little girl doesnt remember her 1st bday party anyway so dnt worry bout wht he will think of ya haha ;) :LOL:

Not a bad idea from J R, personally I would lay some vinyl down, it has a little bit of cushion to it and is easy to wipe up. I think it would be cheaper and deffo be quicker to lay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back