Screed drying time with underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand I should allow around 1 day per mm of screed before I go ahead and lay a final floor finish. I wondered though if it's worth gradually turning up the underfloor heating to 'force dry' the screed and speed up the drying time?

Is this a known practice? If so, does it make much difference to drying times?

Sponsored Links
Using the UFH to dry the screed will almost certainly make no difference to the overall drying time of the floor, it just takes ages, about 4 weeks per inch of depth. We know this from experience when we had to repair a badly cemented floor before fitting a stickdown engineered wood, despite leaving the UFH on and despite being laid over a 20 year old slab, it still took nearly 3 months - as predicted - to dry enough to be able to bond the flooring.

When measuring for moisture, make sure you use a proper flooring damp meter like a protometer or hydrometer, eyesight is no use, and regulay damp meters will not measure the floor moisture content correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back