Screed floor drying time before laying oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm also keen on laying an oak floor. It'll go in a new extension which will obviously be built with a concrete screed floor. What's the best way to lay it? I'd prefer plank style rather than the compound strip type. I'll need to tell the builder at what level to set the screed depending on the method. How long should it be left to dry out before we can lay the floor?

Sponsored Links
New concrete/screed as a rule of thumb needs 30 days per 1 inch (2,5 cm) to dry (in normal circumstances, not forced dried! Don't do that!)
The level your builder must keep depends on the thickness of the wood you're buying and underlayment you use (depending in the installation method).

You can install the wood floating (easier, less expansive) or glue down. But in areas were there can be rapid changes in temperature (like conservatories) we recommend wood-engineered boards, installed floating. This product is now also available in full-plank version

Thanks for that. As for solid wood, would you recommend glueing or floating? I don't want to appear tight, but laying thick enough ply to nail onto is going to add £10-£15 sq.m, isn't it? Are any of the solid floors unsuitable for some of these methods?

You can install Solid floors floating if the widest width is not wider than 5 - 6 meters.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - just need to see how much money's left after the builder's been paid..................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back