screed or TNG on a new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

bit of advice really

i am undergoing a diy project of a rear extension.

its going to have a block n beam floor and 150mm of rigid insulation board in it.

i was going to TNG board it and part tile and part oak floor it but am considering a screed as an option. with the depth/level of insulation is there any benefit to a screed ? not having underfloor heating etc is why i picked TNG boards. if i screed i have to install the Block n Beam floor lower to match the FFL, means more work clearing the oversite for 150mm void.

thanks

scaff

Sponsored Links
As a DIY person too personally I'd say do the wood floor, plywood would be easier to cut and more forgiving of mistakes. Only downside is you'd probably struggle to fix it down

Those tiles will be cold on the feet. I'd go for screed and include wet underfloor heating. A single zone kit which can just be run from the radiator loop would probably cost you less than 250 to DIY install, even if it's not used as the main heating source.

Those tiles will be cold on the feet. I'd go for screed and include wet underfloor heating. A single zone kit which can just be run from the radiator loop would probably cost you less than 250 to DIY install, even if it's not used as the main heating source.

Any recommendations for a cost effective mixer valve in this scenario Steve? I've considered similar myself and see that you can get thermostatic valves with a copper bulb to regulate the flow, but I've never been sure whether to trust them.

Sponsored Links
Underfloor heating isn't required, there's 150mm insulation in the floor and roof, 100mm in the cavity and a toal 7m (4.7+2.3) run of triple glazed bifolds plus vertical central heating rads going in in 5 places.

All I'm after is a comparison for the screed against tounge n groove in this scenario.

I've had a ballpark of £1450 for the flow screed, it's about 34m2 maybe a bit less. I know the TnG is way cheaper and can't go down till its water tight but the screed can go down ASAP when ready. The real thing that changes it for me is setting the floor out lower for screed.

When you say T+G flooring do you mean chipboard ? If so Caberdek TG4 is worth a look @ onT'net. And water resistant too .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back