Screed up to insulation between floor n walls or over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first poster here, have found the forums very helpful while doing my extension but not having much luck finding an answer to this problem.

I have laid the mass concrete on my kitchen floor (over hardcore, dpm, 100insulation, DPM (extra for radon)) now I have to do the tricky bit of laying the screed. If I only run it up to and not over the insulation between to the floor and walls then when placing floor tiles on top around the edges they will rest on 100mm of compressed insulation foam. Will this support a kitchen unit standing on these edges running round half the room? OR should I run the screed over the foam (thereby creating a cold bridge) to the walls? Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Screed up to the walls should be fine. Presuming that there is continuity between the start of the wall insulation and the floor insulation, the effect of cold-bridging should be negligible.

Should be OK, even so, 100mm is overkill for edge insulation, if you can carefully cut it back, leaving about 30-40mm insulation then no probs at all tiling over it.

Thanks both, in the end I cut it down 2 cm so it 50cm over the mass and 2 cm of screed over the insulation.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Youve just lost me...... Would normally have hardcore, sand ,dpm insulation ,concrete then screed straight to the internal wall.

Have you not built the internal walls yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back