screeding floor to old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Previous owners decided to put a nice extension on a 100+ year old house and done a lousy job of the floor in the extension.

The screed floor of the extension sits lower than the foundation of the old house (which is soil) So I have a 1inch layer of wet soil at the bottom of the adjoin wall to the old piece of the house. Does that make any sense!!!

If it does, do I remove some of the soil....... and fill the gap with cement to adjoin the extension floor or would it be best to raise the floor level bringing it above the old soil foundations...

Hope someone can Advise

Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
The "Floor" in the forum title tends to refer much more to floor finish i,e, tiles, parquet etc.

Your query is more suited to "Building", so if no responses within a couple of days, try over there.

Thanks,

I should have guessed that, as you said I will give a few days and go from there.

Thanks again.

sounds like you wont have a working DPM either.

If you have the head room i would install a dpm sheet and lay some concrete down (75mm if floating) to take you above the soil.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a plan, so membraine down on to present floor and screed over at about 75mm.

Do I need to tuck it inbetween the bottom of the old wall and soil layer or leave enough so it sits flush up against the wall, and also would I need to cut down to the original damp proof layer going through the extension walls or cut in to the walls some how... or would it be the case of cutting it tidy ???

sorry for the novice DIY questions, would get a pro in if I had any money
:(

Thanks sofar.

ideal and correct way would be to ty into the walls dpc, but this is not always possible. You dont want to be bridging above the dpc tho as you may force damp into the walls.

Right so tie it into the extensions damp course sounds logical just need confirmation thankyou,

now how about the old wall, sorry for going on, shall I fit the damp course in between the underside of the stone an the soil there for forcing majority of the damp below the course or is there a special of sealing the present extension floor to the old wall.

Thanks again

jamie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back