Screeding Poles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone know wher I can hire scred poles from please in the Leeds area?

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
what is a scred pole, and how do you use it?

I didnt want to ask that, so I goooogled it.
Still dont know what/why.. :confused:

It's for block paving.

You set them in the sand and then run a flat surface (piece of wood / metal) on them to get a nice flat surface which the blocks are laid on.

Sponsored Links
I see they've actually sold one too so some mug must think they are worth it :eek: Explains why I suggested the scaffold poles which I've seen people use on site.

scaffold poles are too big, galvanised metal conduit from electrical wholesaler at 25mm is good.

I use 38mm steel tubing

They are a tad heavy for sure but scaffold poles seem easy to "find" on a lot of sites and very often seem to come with a shovel for free too :mad:

not so much the weight but the diameter is too big. I stick to 40mm as a maximum depth for block paving, for smaller projects i use the electrical conduit

I'll bow to your greater knowledge , I've not done any serious amount of screeding but comment only on what I've seen.

Is it an acceptable method to notch a piece of timber at either end and drag along the edging stones?

Of course, it even better as there are no rails to remove and fill in.

Its often a good idea to do a dry run before putting in the sand to make sure you haven't got bad low spots in the sub-base. They are easier to spot when using rails but can get missed when screeding off kerbs like that.

When block paving do you leave the block petruding 5mm then wacker it down or fully compact the screeded sand?

If your going flush to the top of a kerb I aim for 3mm but were splitting hairs i suppose.

A lighter duty plate might struggle to bump them down a full 5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back