1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Fault or Virus On Laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by macman81, 13 Aug 2008.

1. macman81

macman81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have been given a friend's old laptop to fix. It's a Compaq Presario 900 running Windows XP. It was full of spyware and viruses. I have cleaned out everything I can find and installed proper antivirus and anti-spyware.
    There is a fault remaining with the display, it has a vertical band from top to bottom about 1.5 inches wide just to the right of the centre, which flickers at a high rate. I thought this might be a result of a virus but it remains after I've cleaned up. Could anyone tell me what this might be, and is it a hardware failure which means that the screen will probably fail entirely before too long?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    no idea, but what happens if you plug in an external monitor?

4. macman81

macman81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Breezer, didn't realise you did computers as well as electrics?
    Now why didn't I think of that? When connected to an external monitor the display is fine. So it has to be a hardware failure?

5. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i "dable" but others here are much better than me.

6. akthar

akthar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds to me like your screen is trying to display a resolution it cannot handle. Check the screen size, refresh rate and also the driver for the screen. It's unusual to have this issue on a laptop screen but the symptoms point to that or a faulty TFT Invertor or Display which may not be worth changing if the laptop is too old.

Hope this advice helps.

7. topbloke77

topbloke77

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Id be 95% sure that its what you think it is.....it NOT a virus. (if it is, its very unusual to cause a band down the screen)

It sounds like a fault with the TFT screen. This is quite a common occurrence, especially with older screens.

I have seen the problem many times, sometimes it can be intermittent, but in most cases the screen needs to be replaced.

sorry just noticed this thread is 5 months old. The laptops probably in he bin now.

8. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. Sponsored Links